eighteen

By the time we get back to the hotel, my legs are aching from walking so much

By the time we get back to the hotel, my legs are aching from walking so much. I don't want to be a buzzkill, but I'm fully prepared to pass the time until Isaac's shift by doing nothing more than sitting down. Even Charlie seems a little worn out after spending the last two hours exploring every exhibit the American Museum of Natural History has to offer.

I have to admit, the museum was a nice distraction for a while. But after checking in, taking our key cards, and getting into the elevator, I'd be lying if I said all the paranoia didn't come rushing back. As the hours pass by, I'm closer and closer to meeting Isaac, which is equal parts exciting and terrifying.

The dozens of missed calls and ignored texts from Mom don't help me feel any calmer, and swiping them away doesn't put them out of my mind. And if I think this is a lot to handle, how am I ever gonna deal with what's waiting for me when I get home? The thought of impending doom only makes me more tired, reminding me how I've been awake for over twenty-four hours.

We finally get to our stop on the fifty-fifth floor, the elevator doors opening to reveal a beige hallway. We walk to the door to our suite and I insert my card into the reader before turning the handle. The door opens and I'm faced with what's unarguably the largest, fanciest hotel room I've ever seen. 

The three of us step inside, eyes scouring everything. Light seeps in from the floor to ceiling windows that surround the large living area and provide a panoramic view of the city. The expensive-looking room is drenched in the afternoon sun, highlighting the matching furniture set and high-end decor. 

"Jeeeesus..." Kat draws out, walking further into the room. Her wide eyes look around as she lets her backpack fall from her shoulder and onto the plush carpet.

"It's nice," I agree with a nod, enjoying it more since I know it's being paid for by Peter and Mom. I peek into the door to our left and discover it's a small bathroom as Charlie heads to the couch and plops onto the cushions. 

"Nice?" she questions, letting out a laugh of disbelief. "This is insane." There's a smile growing on her face as she continues to look around, seeming amazed by everything from the TV to the chandelier over the dining room table.

She seemed tired before too, but it's like she's gotten a second wind, practically jogging down the hall and towards one of the bedrooms. "Oh my God!" Her voice travels out of the open door and Charlie laughs, walking over to me.

We stand together, watching the room she's disappeared into as more exclaims of appreciation emit from inside.

"I think she likes it," Charlie whispers, smiling up at me. "This looks good for you."

I roll my eyes, smiling in spite of the action. "You're the one who brought the credit card."

He shrugs. "You're the one who picked the room."

Kat reappears in the doorway, reminding me there's a chance she could overhear and that I'd better shut up if I don't want to embarrass myself. "You could live in that bathroom. Hell, you could live in the tub," she gushes, walking over to one of the windows. "And I mean come on with this view!"