Unexpected call

The day of the funeral for Ms. Ruby was here. Alex sat on the bed in the guest room of Noah's house thinking if she should go or not. She hated funerals and knew Derek told her not to come that day but she knew he was angry and  didn't really mean it. She wanted to be there for Derek, but didn't want any extra tension between them.

  Still undecided about her decision she decided to get up and shower; after she was done she put on a t-shirt and jeans then headed to the kitchen. Alex was headed to the refrigerator to get a drink when she heard the front door open and close; she saw that it was Noah breathing a little heavy and sweating his grey workout shirt slightly drenched with sweat.

"Hey Crane."Noah said a bit startled that she was there.

"Hey, I didn't know you left." She saw that his grey workout shirt formed around his muscles. She always loved how big his arms were.

"Yea, I just went for a run."

Alex handed Noah a bottle of water "You look thirsty."

"I am, thanks." He took the water and gulped it down.

Yesterday when they had left the police station Noah was pretty upset and didn't say much on the drive back. He was hoping she wasn't under the impression that he didn't appreciate her being there. She seemed kind of upset when she got back to his place. 

He finished the water and looked at her. "Alex I wanted to tell you thank you for yesterday; I'm sorry if I seemed mad; I was just upset about the investigation and some other shit that happened."

"It's cool, I know I didn't say much yesterday when I got back. When you had dropped me off I went to go see Simone."

"Oh how is she doing?" Noah and Simone weren't exactly on the best of terms with each other after the whole incident at Star's apartment. But he tried to be cordial with her when he saw her.

"She's okay." Alex looked away from Noah trying to distract herself, she went by the sink to wipe it down.

"Was everything okay?"

She looked back at him sorrowfully. "She got upset with me; especially with Derek, blaming him that he was the reason for what happened at the wedding."

"Damn... Alex I'm sure she didn't mean it she's probably just hurt.

"I get it, but I've been going through shit too trying to be there for everyone but it seems everyone just blames me for everything."

"I know how you feel trust me I do; you know I'm here." He wrapped his arms around her, having her reciprocate the hug.  They hugged for a moment in silence then Noah said, "I'm sorry I'm all sweaty hugging you." Alex laughed making Noah laugh as well.

As they embraced he kissed her on the forehead, making Alex heart jump.

Their eyes met, holding their gaze for a moment. Alex felt as if she could see who Noah truly was in that moment. Even though he was a flawed man she could see how he turned into a better version of himself. He had improved his life doing better than ever he was a great father who loved his son and would do anything for him and the people he loved. He was a completely different person from who she met two years ago.

Still in a gaze Noah leaned in having Alex lean in also, their lips getting closer.

ring... ring...

Alex phone began to ring having them stop from almost kissing. Alex checked her phone to see who it was, it was her mother.

"Hey mom."

"Hello darling, I'm at the hotel I came to pick you and Derek up.

"Oh..um"

"Are you not ready? The funeral starts in an hour; I thought you guys would like to be there early."

"Were actually not there."

"So,where are you?"

"I'm at a friends house." She said looking at Noah.

"Friends house. Why are you there?" Did you not like the hotel?" Rose said sounding confused.

"No, it was fine." Alex hadn't told her the update with her and Derek yet. She didn't want to add more fuel to the fire, when her parents already didn't approve of her marrying Derek.

"Okay...well, what is the address; I can pick you up there."

"No, no we'll just meet you there; go on ahead."

"Darling really, it's no problem I'm with the driver."

"Really it's fine, I'll meet you there." She hung up the phone before her mother could say anything else.

"Hey I can drop you if you want."

"No you don't have to do that Noah."

"No let me, you don't need to drive being all anxious. I won't go in; just let me get showered and dressed real quick."

Alex thought about it for a moment not really sure if it was a good idea but knew she wasn't in the right mind to drive right now. "Okay."

"Okay I'll be done really quick."

As he went upstairs to shower, Alex went to get ready for this dreadful day.