33. Unwanted Call

Start from the beginning

I did a few circles in the mirror just making sure I was fully satisfied with my outfit for tonight and surprisingly I rather liked it. I remember when I hated looking at myself but nowadays I don't feel that same hate. Well, maybe sometimes but it's a work in progress.

I was putting on lip bum when my phone suddenly started ringing, putting the lid on my chapstick, I rushed over to my phone. I was confused when I saw that it was an unknown number calling me, I decide not to answer it, if it was someone important I would have their number saved.

I watched as the phone kept ringing in my hands, I didn't want to hit the decline button because for some reason I didn't want whoever was calling to feel disrespected and call back yet again.

When the ringing finally stopped, I was about to put my phone down when I suddenly got a voicemail notification from the same number I had just avoided. My curiosity got the best of me so of course, I had to play the voicemail.

The phone nearly slipped out of hand as goosebumps ran up my arms. All I heard from the other line was heavy, staticky breathing like the person had a phone from the 1970s. I was in full panic mode as I threw my phone away from me, it hit my bed before it somehow bounced off onto the floor.

I stared at my phone like it was cursed, I was too afraid to pick it up. My brain tried to downplay the call as a prank or wrong number but I knew it wasn't. I couldn't keep playing dumb, not after what Clayton had told me.

I was still side-eyeing my phone when the screen lit up, I was getting another call. My heart started beating fast I slowly walked over to my phone, like it was a wild animal that would bite me If I wasn't careful.

I let out a sigh of relief when I saw it was Axel calling me and not another unknown number, but I quickly became nervous for other reasons.

"Uh, hello?" I answered, trying to sound as normal as possible.

"Hey, Angel." He replied.

I waited for him to say something next but he never did, so I spoke up instead.

"Why'd you call?" I asked him.

"Is wanting to hear your voice a bad excuse?" He said, his voice was soft.

"Axel-" I started but he hurried up spoke up.

"Um, have you got ready yet? Or should I give you more time, cause I can totally do that If you need," Axel said, he sounded as nervous as I felt and that thought made me smile to myself.

"I actually just got done, I'll meet you downstairs in a few minutes," I told him.

"Great! Okay! Uh, see you downstairs." He said trying to hide his excitement.

Axel quickly hung up the phone and I shook my head amused at his boyish behavior, that I don't get to see very often.

Before heading downstairs I turn my phone off, still unsettled by the voicemail I received and stuck it in my jacket pocket.

Here's to making the possible last day with Axel the best.

Axel's POV

I was pacing back and forth by the stairs, waiting for Mia to come down them. Jesus, what takes girls so long to get ready? All I had to do was throw on a pair of jeans with my leather jacket and boom done, doesn't even take 10 minutes.