I'm surprised I hadn't corrected her.

"No."

"Yes."

Kathie and I answered at the same time. She briefly stared at me. "Bunny, how sure are you? I've heard Sydney ramble on about hanging out with Nathan, but I don't think that's equivalent to dating."

"Did Nathan tell you?" This came from Audrey who asked the question I didn't want to have an answer to.

I toyed with my phone.

"You never did." Jess nodded slowly, interpreting my uneasiness.

Audrey shrugs. "Well, then, I guess this makes it safe to say that they're not together. If my sources are accurate – which they are at least sixty percent of the time, Sydney is just a loudmouth and your ex just doesn't listen to gossips."

Jess nods eagerly. "Passive-aggressive anndd a lying bitch too."

"But you can always ask him, Chassie. He's just secretive but he's never a liar." Kathie's eyes brown eyes find mind and they offered comfort.

A knock on the door interrupted our little discussion.

Jessica's face brightened. "That must be the pizza."

"Or my assistant." Audrey slid gracefully off the stool and exited the kitchen. She came back with a to-go coffee and an adorable assistant.

She gives us all a polite smile before joining us.

"Kylie, come sit next to me." Jessica waves her over, a very fond grin on her face.

It was hard not to be fond of her. She was cute (probably could fit anywhere) and she wears the cutest thing, including a honey-comb skirt.

"I love your skirt." I smiled.

She did a little curtsy. "Thank you."

"That skirt has to be edible. Are you staying for lunch, bunny?" Kathie asks.

"No, I'm sorry. I'm meeting my friends." Summer, Andrei and France has been texting me nonstop for a detailed disclosure of my quest for the right ex.

I've accomplished the quest, all right. But it feels like I just lost.

My heart jumped in my throat when I heard my phone ring. It's been happening a lot lately. I blew out a sigh when I saw it was Julie Montgomery, my friend from work. I excused myself before scurrying off to Kathie's living room.

"I hated going to work. And now that you're not here, I abhor it."

I giggled. "Aw. You poor thing. How's the new guy doing?"

"You mean the idiot who temporarily keeps your column alive? He's kissing ass."

"Is his stuff good?"

"Meh. He's just trying to be you."

"He's writing the column in his perspective." I swipe a hand over my face. "Crap, I get it now. Howard wants a fresher perspective about single parenthood. I am going to get fired."

"No way! That is never going to happen."

I have to hold my phone away to not damage my ear from when her voice boomed in defense. Surprising myself – yet again – the prospect of getting laid off isn't daunting as it has been weeks ago. "We'll see."

"Chassie, just be positive. We will figure this out."

I slumped on the couch. "I have no plan B."

"If it's any consolation, I don't either. We ended up here by accident."

I laugh. "Well, that makes me feel a little better."

"Have you been writing?"

"Not much."

"Still struggling?" She asks sympathetically.

I dropped my head to the headrest and stared at the ceiling. "More like distracted."

"Ooh. Half-naked ex distracting you?" Julie lets out a girlish giggle. "Not that it's a bad thing, but let me just say, "Finally!""

I could only manage a giggle.

"Wait, that wasn't a no."

"Yeah, well, it wasn't a yes either."

Julie laughed on the other line. "I got to go. Let me know when it's time for a love affair. I've been told love is sweeter the second time around."

"Julie," I groaned.

She lets out another laugh. "Okay. Good luck with everything."

Book 3

Audrey Danler swore to forget that one drunken wedding hookup she had with Vren Parkinson

Audrey Danler swore to forget that one drunken wedding hookup she had with Vren Parkinson. It was definitely doable. Except that one mistake resulted to a positive pregnancy test. And now she's stuck with a man she would've never bat an eye at when she's sober. It was supposed to be just a mistake. Not a commitment.