The familiarity came sneaking in. Then came the flutters that I realized I only had with him. I wrap the blanket around me, willing myself to pour my attention to the movie. Anywhere else other than the looming visit of the stormy past.

Nathan scoots closer and tugged at the warm fabric of the blanket. I gave him the other end. Before I knew it, we were sharing the blanket like we used to. Although, this time we're not together. We're back to being friends.

It never had an unpleasant force to it until now. Yet now that I let it settle in my mind, a weight rests in my chest.

We stayed in each other's orbits for years.

He stares straight ahead as he sips on his glass of wine. The moonlight grew a tad sharper over him, emphasizing every detail I've known by heart. The face I used to touch. The lips I used to kiss. The arms I used to lay next to.

The "butterflies" come unsolicited.

So crystal clear.

I remember the "butterflies" when I had the first up-front encounter of my feelings toward him. I remember the "butterflies" when he finally told me he loves me. I remember the "butterflies" when he kissed me for the very first time.

The sweet firsts.

My sweet firsts.

My chest weighed a lot heavier. I forced myself to watch the movie which is not much of a consolation.

The heroine fell back in love with her ex-husband but realized love the second time around will only lead to another heartbreak. They had closure and she went on with her life with a hint of a new love interest.

I frowned at the rolling credits, the ending not sitting right with me. Despite parting rationally. Despite the closure. I wanted nothing more but for them to end back together again.

We were both quiet when the enormous screen blink into darkness. We drove home, our thoughts separating us like glass partition. I look over to him, his face seemingly lost.

My hand extends over to his that was resting on his knee to interrupt his thoughts – faltered midway through. I took it back to my lap, scowling at myself. I'm not supposed to place my hand in there.

Not anymore.

Even if I used to.

It was past midnight when we pulled up in our driveway. I unbuckled my seat belt, pushing the car door open. I needed the air to clear my head. I started walking ahead of him. I hear the cobblestones crunching behind me – the gigantic reminders that he was still there, lurking like our beautiful trail of the past.

We can't go to bed with something I'm not ready to name yet between us.

I suck in a breath and turned around, armed for a banter – only to find him following so close behind that we brush noses. My chest pressed up against his. Too close he might feel my heart pounding through the fabric of my dress.

We stayed rock solid on the ground.

His fingers closed around my wrist, watching me wordlessly. He holds my gaze, and then his fingers graze up to my elbow, pausing briefly, then continues upward.

My breath hitches at the rightness of his touch.

Nathan smelled of wine and chocolate. And all things sweet and perfect.

My palm sets on his chest – the most wrong response because from the way his eyes rounded in alarm, he's mistaken it for an act of pushing him away. Misreading it, he takes a step back.

I blink, reeling from the fast-paced turn of events. One second, there wasn't room for light or air between us, then we were strangers miles apart from each other the next.

Like complete strangers.

Not even close to acquaintances.

"Chassie, I—"

"No. I'm sorry." I shove the corners of my mouth upward in attempt for a smile. A simple curve will freaking do. I fumble for my keys in my purse, turning my back on him. "Good night, Nathan."

Book 2

A bubbly socialite has threatened to spread colors in Cade Parkinson's monochromatic life

A bubbly socialite has threatened to spread colors in Cade Parkinson's monochromatic life. The brightest ray of sunshine whose boyfriend just gone MIA. However hard he tried to fend her off, she's just too stubborn as his sweet tooth. He has weakness for sweets. And then inevitably, a weakness for Kathie Jane Lewis. Funny how his own sweet tooth put his heart on the line.