51) The Offer

That was the email I woke up to

That was the email I woke up to. I couldn't believe it. I re-read the email at least five times. They found the actual thief. My name was cleared. This was the moment I'd been waiting for since I was fired. It had finally come, and I expected a sense of relief.

        Instead, I felt nothing.

        As soon as I could, I made the arrangements to make an international call to contact Rick, one of my bosses at Barkley's. He picked up after the third ring.

        "Hello?"

        "Rick," I said. "It's Gabriel."

        "Gabriel." I didn't miss the joy in his voice. "It's great to hear from you. I'm guessing you received my email."

        "I did," I replied. "So, you found the bloke who stole the Valerio bracelet?"

        "Yes, we did," Rick said. "We can't tell you who did it but know that they will deal with the consequences of their actions. We can't apologize enough for what we did to you. We should have had more faith in you."

        "Your hands were tied."

        "Still," Rick said. "It was an unfortunate situation and a huge misunderstanding. How've you been, Gabriel?"

        I sighed. "I've been better."

        "I can only imagine," Rick said. "You lost your job. You even went back to America."

        "How's that going to work, by the way?" I asked. "You offered me my job back, but I'm not in Sydney anymore."

        When I was recently fired, I would have jumped at the opportunity to get my job back, but I was in Shirley Heights now. I'd gotten comfortable. My sister was here. I made some friends. I was back home. Sydney was great, but it would never be home.

        "Don't worry about that," Rick said. "We have you covered. If you decide to take the offer, we're going to help you get settled in. We'll pay for your flight. We'll provide you a company car to use. We'll handle all your moving expenses, and we can even assist you in getting a flat. Anything you need, we're here. Don't let the logistics of moving back to Sydney deter you from taking this opportunity."