24) The Resolution

"Nila?" My sister stood in my doorway with a small smile on her lips

"Nila?" My sister stood in my doorway with a small smile on her lips. "What are you doing here?"

I opened the door wider for her to walk in. "I have wine." She lifted the bottle before flashing me the pack of beer. "And beer."

I didn't have to be told twice, so I grabbed some glasses, and we sat on my couch. I had some beer first while Nila sipped on the wine. "Why are you here?" She sent me a look. "Not that I'm not happy to have you here, but it's unexpected."

"I need an excuse to get out of the house," she said. "Ishaan is pissing me off." She leaned back on the couch. "Honestly, you're the only one who knows about the affair, and I'll rather keep it that way."

I placed my beer on the table in front of us, and I leaned forward on my knees. "What's going on, by the way? How long have you known?"

"Some time now," she said. "All the signs were there. Staying out late. Being secretive with his phone. Pulling away from me. It doesn't take a detective to know."

"Is he aware that you know?"

"I don't know," she said, "but he hasn't acted like he cares."

I drank some of my beer. "Why're you still with him? He's a lying cheat. You deserve better than that."

"It's not that simple," she said.

"Yes, it is," I countered. "You're beautiful and successful. You can find someone else in a heartbeat."

"I don't want to ruin my family."

"He's the one ruining your family," I told her. "You leaving for your sanity isn't selfish."

"I can't do this to the kids."

"They'll understand," I said. "If not now, then later. They won't hate you for this. They may be better off than you staying in this loveless marriage."

"I love Ishaan."

"If he truly loved you, he'll respect you and your marriage enough not to cheat."

"You don't get it, Gyan." She poured herself more wine. "It's so easy for you to say these things because you're not in my shoes. This is humiliating. Imagine the family and outsiders knowing that Ishaan is cheating on me. I'll be made into a fool."

I would rebut that and say Ishaan would look like the bad one, but I knew better. Nila would also receive backlash, even though she was the victim. It was fucked up.

"Staying in an unhappy marriage makes you a fool."

She rolled her eyes. "Wow. Thanks."

"I didn't mean it like that," I said. "I'm just saying that ending it now will be for the better. You'll be happier that way, and people may talk for some time, but it won't be as bad as if people knew about the affair and realized that you're staying to save face."