18) The Reminder

"What's up, stranger?" Arya greeted from across the line

"What's up, stranger?" Arya greeted from across the line. "Haven't heard from you in a minute."

"You know that's what happens when Aaron comes into town."

I hadn't spoken to Arya in quite some time, and it was no coincidence that Aaron was back. Arya always took advantage of him being back from deployment.

"Stop," she said. "I'm making time for you now, and I've heard quite a bit about you and Gabriel."

Arya never knew about Gabriel while we were together, but she heard a lot those five years we were apart.

"From Darian?" I asked.

"And Kenji."

This was one of the downsides about knowing multiple people who also knew each other—news spread.

"What have they said about me and Gabriel?" I asked, my interest piqued.

"Different things," she said. "Darian talks about your stupidity, and Kenji talks about Gabriel's frustrations."

So, he was frustrated?

Gabriel and I were in a better place. We weren't arguing. We got along as roommates. Our physical moments felt great. At the same time, every time I was with him, a wave of nostalgia would hit me. I would be flooded with memories of simpler/calmer times. I thought things were great, but I wasn't sure how Gabriel felt.

During the moment, he seemed fine, and he seemed to enjoy it just as much as I did. However, the aftermath was different. There would be this shift in his attitude and mood. A shift I couldn't fully grasp.

"You and Gabriel have an interesting story," Arya said. "With all the drama and feels. This situation is going to be a hot mess."

"Not necessarily," I said. "We're having fun. Things are fucking complicated, but Gabriel and I together un-complicates them."

"That's a lie."

"How?"

"You and Gabriel make it even more complicated," Arya said. "Gyan, you're about to marry some chick in a couple months. Do you really think fucking your college sweetheart is going to un-complicate it?"

If she put it like that...?

"We're not fucking."

If I could hear her roll her eyes, I would have. "Just because it doesn't involve a penis penetrating doesn't mean it isn't sex. You two are hooking up. Gyan, think. Do you really think you and Gabriel are happy this way?"

How the hell was I supposed to know? Getting my dick sucked was great. Having it be Gabriel made it even better. I didn't know how much the latter fact mattered. A part of me told myself that it didn't, but I wasn't sure.