XII

"Thank you, baby." Heather smiled as she stood on her tippy toes and kissed Amaru's lips. A month has passed and Heather was able to fully move into her new place.

Amaru had just finished putting up the bed for her. "You're welcome, mamas. You need me to do something else for you?"

"Yes, but that has to wait until later because I have to pick up Micah and take him to his dad's." Heather said.

"And I have to see if Kill's mama is going to get him today. She hasn't been responding so I might have to swing by her place." Amaru said, checking his phone again.

A couple of weeks ago, Simone stopped by Amaru's place to make a promise to Amaru and Killian to be more active in Killian's life. She was very sincere about it and it almost made Amaru cry when he saw Killian forgive his mother with a hug and kiss.

"Okay, baby. Thank you for helping me out today."

"Anything for you, beautiful. I'll see you later." They kissed again and Amaru headed out of the townhouse.

Amaru hopped in his car and called Simone's phone again, only to be sent to voicemail. He sighed as he continued to drive to Simone's place to see what was going on and why she wasn't answering his calls.

Once he got there, he knocked on the door a few times, but didn't get an answer. He sighed once again as he pulled out his phone to call the authorities.

"9-1-1, what's your emergency?" The woman asked.

"May I get a wellness check for my son's mother? She's supposed to be getting him today, but I haven't heard from her in almost four days." Amaru had to make it seem longer because he knew they weren't going to send anyone if he said twelve hours.

"Okay, what's her address? Are you there now?" Amaru told her the address and did advise her that he was there. "Okay, we have a unit in that area. They should be there in ten minutes."

"Okay, thank you." Amaru hung up the phone and decided to wait in his car until police arrived.

-

Amaru walked into Big Mama's house and sighed when he saw Killian sitting on the couch with his backpack next to him. "Daddy!" Killian shouted as he watched him walk into the living room. "You talked to my mommy? She was supposed to be here an hour ago."

"Kill, I—I—" Amaru couldn't help the tears that escaped from his eyes.

"Daddy?" Killian said. "What's wrong?"

"What's going on?" Big Mama asked as she entered the living room. "What's the matter, Amaru?"

"I'm sorry, Killian. Your mommy's gone." Amaru cried.

"What do you mean?" Killian asked.

"Hello, how are you?" The officer said. "You stated that you haven't talked to your son's mother in four days?"

Amaru nodded. "Correct, and she's supposed to be keeping our son over the weekend. I just want to make sure she's alright."

"Okay, the only thing I can do is knock on the door and peep through the windows. Because I don't have a search warrant, I'm not allowed to break down the door if there isn't an answer or if I don't see anything." The officer explained.

"Okay." Amaru replied.

The officer knocked on the front and back door first. When he didn't get an answer, he peeped through the windows with opened blinds. Once he got to the third window, he was taken aback with what he saw. Amaru noticed the officer's reaction and immediately became concerned.