XXVIII

Amaru sat next to Big Mama as she watched the kids play in the water with Nova and Arman. Everyone was in Hawaii for Killian's birthday except Mya who was throwing fits about it, however, her sister in law, nieces, and nephews were keeping her company.

"Mama, look." Amaru said, showing her a picture.

Big Mama squinted her eyebrows before looking at Amaru with a confused look on her face. "What's this?" She asked.

"They just finished the foundation on our new home." Amaru told her.

"I thought y'all were house hunting." Big Mama said as her eyes got big.

Amaru chuckled. "Fake house hunting." He said. "Shakur put me onto the private contractor that did their house and he said they'll have it done by the time Heather is eight months."

"How many stories because the foundation looks really big." Big Mama said.

"It'll be one with a finished basement." Amaru replied. "We both agreed that we don't want many stairs. Here's the floor plan."

Big Mama nodded. "Oh yeah. I like that. Y'all might need more than five bedrooms because I know y'all gon have a lot of kids."

Amaru laughed. "Nah, mama. We already said if this is a girl then that's it, but if it's a boy then we'll try for one more."

"Okay, I can live with four or five grandkids." Big Mama said. "Look at your son flirtin'."

Amaru looked at where Killian was and saw him hugging Nova while rubbing his face against her torso. "Andrew!" Amaru yelled, startling him. "Chill out!" Killian smiled nervously as he stepped away from Nova. Arman began to tease him and made Micah join in as he teased him as well.

"He gets that shit from you." Big Mama laughed. "That boy is smooth."

Amaru scoffed. "He better focus on seeing six tomorrow before he tries to flirt with a grown woman. I should beat him."

Big Mama scoffed back. "Now we both know you're not gonna lay a finger on him. Stop that."

"Whose side are you on, mama?" Amaru asked with a screwed up face.

"By default—my grand baby's." Without saying another word, Amaru got up from the beach chair and began to walk towards the Airbnb. Big Mama laughed as she watched him walk away. "I still love you, first born."

"Yeah, whatever. I love you too." Amaru said back.

-

"How much you wanna bet it's a boy?" Shakur asked as the adults sat around the table playing cards while Killian and Micah played nearby.

They were currently discussing the gender of Amaru and Heather's baby. Mostly everyone wanted the baby to be a girl, but Arman and Shakur were thinking differently—especially Arman since Killian hinted it to him.

Amaru sucked his teeth. "How much you got, fool?"

"Umm—daddy." Killian said. "I know I'm not supposed to interject into grown people's business, but I wouldn't bet if I were you."

"Why not, Kill?" Amaru asked him.

"Well—umm—you—you have mouths to feed and I—I—I don't want you losing your money." Killian stammered.

"You know something that we don't know?" Dear chimed in.

Killian began to scratch his forehead as tears filled his eyes. Amaru quickly placed his cards down, not caring they were facing up and placed Killan in his lap. "You don't have to cry, little man. Tell us what's up. We're interested." Amaru told him.