Chapter 25

I thought I didn't need to sleep any more. I wondered if it was because I was shapeshifting or because I was Ranking Up, but I saw dreams of those days again, after such a long time.

Really, I thought it was time I got over them already...

............

"Hey, Shedy. Wake up!"

...bwha? My consciousness awakened in a hurry. Information of the outside world flooded into my head.

"...why are you here?"

"That's my line."

I still had my hood on. My ears should still be hidden for the time being.

I stayed seated, knees still hugged, and looked up. Within the clattering freight car, I saw Tiz standing there as if he owned the whole world, looking down at me. The pompous man was wearing clothes much fancier than what he had on when we first parted.

Standing behind and to his left was a silver-haired old man in butler clothing. He was holding a lantern, his eyes gazing sharply at me.

Behind and to Tiz's right was a woman in knight uniform with black hair in a ponytail, looking in her twenties. A sword radiating faint magical light was in her hand. She held it in an alert stance, her eyes glaring with obvious hostility.

"So it seems she's truly your acquaintance, boy. Who is this girl?"

"Stop it with the 'boy' already, gramps. She helped me out when I was trying to get in town. So, Shedy, why are you here? Talk."

It wasn't an interrogation, so much as it was just Tiz having fun in trying to drive me into a corner, especially as he was drawing near.

"Umm..." I started thinking about how to answer.

Then all of a sudden, the knight barged in between us. "Sir, don't come any closer!" She turned to me, "Speak! You must be an assassin hired by some other noble, aren't you?! If you won't confess, perhaps some torture will-"

"Salia, cease at once! I'm talking to Shedy here. Stay out!"

Tiz's roar was enough to drown out even the train's clattering for a moment. The knight started and shrank back, flustered. Her face went pale. She bit her lips in discontent and glared daggers at me.

Seeing her response, Tiz scowled. He sighed, his hands scratching his head, and he turned to the butler.

"Gramps, I'll take her to the guest room. Handle the formalities for me."

"...understood."

The butler simply bowed, his eyebrows raising a fraction as the only sign of his thoughts. He handed the lantern over to one of the attending knights behind him and readily left the cargo room.

"Sir, you mustn't! We can't trust her!"

"Salia, shut up. Shedy, come on."

"..."

I had thought he was a noble. Apparently he was a much bigger shot than I imagined.

I didn't know how he managed to discover my presence on the train so easily. I couldn't continue to stay in this room anyway, so I quietly stood up and followed him.

As we got out of the freight car, I realized it was morning already.

It felt like it'd been a long time since I'd seen the light. As I squinted my eyes, the annoying knight woman behind me moved just a step closer. She was grinding her teeth and glaring at me, her sword still unsheathed. She whispered.