Chapter 6

I decided on the Ghast.

The immaterial, malleable demon of dust and mist. It wouldn't be much different from the body of wet dough I'd been using. Imps and Gremlins, with their hands and legs, would have been much better for my mind. I was sure of that.

But no. I didn't want all my experience to count for nothing.

...well. I just wanted to say something cool there. My life was going to be shitty no matter the choice anyway, so I didn't put all that much thought to it.

Following my wish, my snow-white slime body began to break do- hey, no, wait, shit. This is bad.I could feel myself being arranged into something different, and apparently my brain didn't like that very much. My vision whited out, I felt myself thrown into a raging whirlpool, twisting and turning in incomprehensible directions. Nausea and dizziness began to lay siege, without mercy. 

Head-splitting pain. An infinite number of ants swarming-

-no, no. This wasn't real! I didn't have a physical body at the moment. This was nothing more than a delusion cooked up by my mind! I knew that, but fucking idiot brain!

Come on, stay a... wake...

... ...... .........

Oh boy.

It took a whole day for my evolution to finish.

I seriously thought my non-existent head was going to explode.

Well, to be more precise, the Evolution itself probably only took a few minutes, but after it was done I couldn't move for all of a day.

I only just managed to start thinking human thoughts again an hour ago. Until then, my world was made of headaches, flashing colors in my eyes, and so much nausea that I couldn't move a millimeter.

I still couldn't, even now. My new body's senses were all out of whack.

[NO NAME][Race: Ghast][Low Demon (Low-Rank)] 33/99

[Magic Points: 90/90] 35↑ [Total Combat Power: 100/100] 40↑ [Unique Skill: Reroll]

Ghast. A low demon of dust and gases. See this "dust and gases" part? That was the problem. My senses extended to every single particles that made up my body.

What this meant was that every time the wind blew, armies of ants would start having a party on the parts of my body moved by the breeze.

Such a pain...

I'd been trying my best to ignore the whole thing, but on second thought, that might not have been the best idea. If I tried to get used to this body by ignoring the problem, that would mean discarding the advantage of using a monster avatar in the first place. Instead, I should turn the problem into a solution: make my hypersensitivity work for me rather than against me.

That was the strength of monsters, and also what separated them from humans.

...at the same time, I had the strangest feeling, as if I was slowly losing bits and pieces of my own human vulnerabilities from all the abuse my mind had suffered since I started using this monster avatar...

Was weakness not what make humans so beautiful, in the end?

Alright, that was enough monologuing. I got so much more powerful now; I should try to get moving as soon as possible.

That reminded me, my status showed [Low Demon (Low-Rank)]. That's two 'low' in a row. How weak was the pre-evolution ball of dough, then?

I was lucky that no caterpillars or snakes came by when I was still immobile. There was a squirrel, but it ran the moment it found out I was here.