Eighteen

*

But she's bringin' the moon and stars to me
Damn permanent reverie
And even though this life, this love is brief
I've got some people who carry me

*

Molly stood staring out over the mountains and glens she knew so well, both covered in snow but bathed in sunshine, taking in the sight and finding it hard not to smile.

She remembered a poem she learnt in school when she was just a wee bairn and recited it over in her head.

Caledonia! thou land of the mountain and rock,
Of the ocean, the mist, and the wind -
Thou land of the torrent, the pine, and the oak,
Of the roebuck, the hart, and the hind;
Though bare are thy cliffs, and though barren thy glens,
Though bleak thy dun islands appear,
Yet kind are the hearts, and undaunted the clans,
That roam on these mountains so drear!

They always skipped the middle verse as it was a bit random and didn't show what her teacher wanted them to see.

Sweet land of the bay and wild-winding deeps
Where loveliness slumbers at even,
While far in the depth of the blue water sleeps
A calm little motionless heaven!
Thou land of the valley, the moor, and the hill,
Of the storm and the proud rolling wave -
Yes, thou art the land of fair liberty still,
And the land of my forefathers' grave!

The defender sighs and lets the wind take her breath away as she stares out north, thinking of the lands far away that she always wanted to explore with her dad.

Ring, ring

Her back pocket vibrates and Molly smiles when she pulls her phone out and looks at the screen, before holding it to her ear.

"Hi Corsie".

"Alright kid, how are you?" the captain asks, "good thank you, staring at the most beautiful view in the world" Molly replies.

"Molls I sincerely hope that's not what I think it is..." she says, "naw. I'm on top of a Ben looking out at the Glen where Mike and Connie's farm is, where I grew up Rach".

Her teammates laugh rings in her ears, "glad tae hear. I hope it's as bonnie as ever" she says.

A fierce wind whips around Molly and she scrunched her face up, "so what did you want now yours and Lee's scheming is underway" the Arsenal player asks, "how did you know aboot that? Oh let me guess Lisa and her big mouth" Rachel replies.

"Got it in one".

"We aren't up tae much, just taking it slow, enjoying the festive period together. Any news on Claire?".

At the mention of the forward, a lump forms in Molly's throat, something she hadn't experienced in a while as she'd been so busy with her niece and nephew; she forgot why she came away again.

"You good?".

"Yeh sorry... um no I huvnae hear anything recently. I guess she's in Australia?" the younger Scot replies.

"Aye as far as I know. You still haven't made up your mind have you?" Corsie probes again, "no" Molly whispers, "please help me Rach. I just want her back again".

*

Down in Aberdeen, Lee who had been staying with the defender and her family over Christmas, watched as her girlfriend hung up the phone and went quiet.

"Is she alright?".

She asks gently and rests her hand on Corsie's arm, "aye, sh-she's good" Rachel replies, seemingly holding back tears and without hesitation, the goalkeeper scoops the Scot up in her arms and holds her; Lee's heart breaking at the sight.

"So how are we going to fix this?" Lee asks, "I don't know but she wants her back and we have to help her".

*

A/N: well this is shit but I couldn't think of anything else other than this little bit 😂. Also on the way back from Tottenham having seen Emma Mitchell play for them 🥺