Seventeen

*

A week later

"Arghh where is she?" Lisa sighs, looking up and down the road for the umpteenth time, "don't worry she's close" Viv squeezes her girlfriends shoulder.

They continue watching for another minute or so before Lisa shouts out and jumps off the sofa, rushing to the front door before Molly is even out of the taxi.

"You're back".

"You bet!".

The two friends embrace on the drive as the Dutch player takes Molly's bag from the driver, "better late than never" Kim shouts from the door.

"Shut it Kimmy".

Lisa grabs her teammates hand and pulls her back inside the house, leading her through to the kitchen where a cup of tea is waiting.

"So how was your sister? How was bonnie ol' Scotland?".

Molly smiles, "oh you know, Connie was busy as ever with things on the farm, as well as being a wife and a mother too" she explains as the forward hands her a mug.

"And Scotland?".

"Scotland was as wild and beautiful as ever Lis".

Kim and Viv reappear and the two sit down at the table alongside their housemates, "while we've got you, I think there's some things we need tae address" the captain says. "Like what?" Molly asks, peering over her mug and knowing full well what she means, "you know what Molls".

Lisa reaches out and touches the defenders arm reassuringly, "did you think about how to go about things with Claire?" she asks.

"It's complicated".

"How?" the youngest Scot sighs and looks down at her drink, "I told her I wasn't in love with her anymore, which is a lie but I realised they were happy together. You know the saying, if you love someone; let them go".

"Well that's the biggest load of bullshit I've heard coming from yous in while Molls" a new voice says and the defender lifts her head to see Rach leaning against the doorframe.

"Omg what are you doing here?!" she cries.

"Came tae see my favourite person of course, after Lee obviously" Corsie smiles, "come here kid" Molly joins the captain in a hug as Lisa stands up to greet the older player too.

"Kimmy I strongly dislike you right now, how did you manage tae keep quiet?" the forward asks.

"Lis you forget that Kim doesn't have as big a mouth as you" Rachel explains, "it wasn't Kim, I asked Rach to come here. I thought you all could do with seeing her" Viv smiles, bouncing on her heels.

"You did? Thank you" Lisa says, "that it one of the many reasons why I love you" she says, going over to her girlfriend and kissing her.

"Shield your eyes Rach, that is something you dinnae need to see".

"You're right. That is something I don't need to see".

*

"You going tae tell me the real reason why you're here?" Molly asks a very jetlagged Rachel.

Kim and her dragged their teammate out of the house to a coffee shop round the corner, after Lisa and Viv decided to continue their make out session and started screaming each other's names not long after.

"I told you. I came to see you and then I'll head up tae Glasgow to see Lee".

The captain's reply is tainted with lies and knows that her prodigy will have seen right through it.

"And that's only the half of it! I know you came to see me because you heard I broke it off with Claire. I'm naw a numptie Rach" the defender sighs.

"Yes, I wanted to make sure yous were alright Molly, ok? You're my friend and friends look oot for each other. And I also wanted to know why you did it if you're still in love with her" the Utah player replies, wrapping a hand around Molly's.

"I had tae let her go Corsie, you of all people should understand after what you and Lee have been through. Her and Caroline are good for each other".

"But you two are good for each other as well".

"Not anymore Rach, not anymore".

The captain sighs, she couldn't let Molly resign herself to this fate, especially not now when the two players needed each other the most and it was in this moment that the thirty year old decided she was going to enlist the help of her girlfriend.

*