Sixteen

*

"Molly you absolute genius!!".

Lisa comes running over to the defender and hugs her once again, "aye a wee belter it was" Kim adds walking in.

"Well done Molls" Jen smiles from across the changing room, "couldn't have placed it better myself" Viv adds, patting Molly on the back before dragging Lisa away to change.

"I'm so proud of you" Leah says, "thank you. Couldn't have done it without yous of course, by my side since the day I joined" Molly smiles at her teammate.

"Always will be".

The Scot changes quickly and is one of the first to leave the changing room, waiting in the car for Lisa and Viv.

Molly runs that moment over and over again her head, the moment when her foot left the ground and connected with the ball, watching it soar through the air evading everyone and finally slipping through the goalkeepers fingers and into the back of the...

Tap, tap.

"Bloody hell Lisa are you trying tae give me a heart attack!!".

"Sorry" the forward smiles, climbing into the beat seat as Viv gets in the front, immediately plugging in her phone and playing some god awful Dutch song.

"I don't know you put up with this" Molly shakes her head pulling out of the car park and starting the drive home, "what?" Lisa asks. "Your girlfriends bad choice in music" the defender replies, "oh come on, yours isn't much better Molly" Viv huffs and the younger Scot has to bite her tongue.

"I'll have you know it's not that bad".

"It is".

Lisa sighs, "I have the casting vote and I'm gonna say yours is worse Molls" she says as Molly gives her the evils in the rear view mirror, "hey I dinnae wanna pay for it later so...".

Disgusting.

"Okay, okay. I don't want tae hear about it thank you" Molly says quickly, "we are that bad! You know Beth and Daan are worse" Viv smiles.

"Well at least I dinnae have to live with them".

"Hey I thought you were my friend!".

Lisa frowns at Molly in the mirror and crosses her arms over her chest, "I love you guys really" her teammate tries.

"Too late".

*

"Molly!" Viv's voice echoes upstairs.

"Hey Molly, you're going to want to see this" she shouts and the Scot, who had been trying to have a nice bath to help the knocks she picked up, sighs and clambers out.

"What do you want?" she asks, wrapping a towel around her and pulling the plug, "just look at your phone!" Lisa shouts.

"Why?" Molly says again.

She doesn't get an answer but all becomes clear when she leaves the bathroom to grab clothes and picks her phone up off the bed.

"What am I suppose to be looking at?" she asks Lisa, "go on Instagram, you'll see" the forward replies, as Molly opens the app and sees the first picture that comes up; a picture of Claire and Caroline.

Liked by stephcatley and 850 others

@emslie_22: when life gives you best friends... hold umbrellas for them ☂️

What really got Molly was not the caption or even photo, that was from a while back not recently, no it was the comments.

View all 92 comments...

@janinebeckie4: aww look at you two 🥰
@fionabrown31: 👑👑
@chloearthur77: you never hold any umbrellas for me 😂

She couldn't read on, she felt sick to the stomach.

It was almost as though Claire had confirmed and then denied their relationship in one go, as though she'd openly confirmed this one, a new one without Molly in it and with someone who she had a fling with months ago.

The Orlando player was never one really for sentimentality, yet here she was reminiscing about their time in Manchester together.

"Molls are you in there?".

"Are you decent cause we want to come and give you a hug?".

As tears roll down her face, Molly tugs some clothes on and then opens the door, with Lisa and Leah pouncing on her almost immediately, pulling her into a hug and almost knocking the wind out of her.

"I-I... this. I don't- why me Lis?" she asks, crying into the Scot's shoulder, "I don't know Molls, I don't know" her teammate answers, rubbing her back gently.

"Do you think I can go and see Connie? Just for a few days?" Leah frowns "I don't know" she says concerned.

"What will Joe say?".

"Stuff Joe. We can handle this for a while" Lisa smiles.

"You go and see your sister, get some of the finest Scottish air into yous and hopefully by the time you come back, you will be rid of this and feel much better".

*