Rosalyn

It was infuriating to not be able to help in the battle but even father was not dim enough not to notice me if I were to make an appearance on the battlements. At the very least branden had told me his strategy to lure them in to the long tunnel and then blow it up. I breathed a sigh of relief when I heard the explosion echo through my chambers. Until i heard iona come crashing in.

What was that?

Iona signed looking through the window. "The explosion." Iona turned to me her brow creasing in worry. I held my book tightly in my lap. "I'm sure he'll be fine." We waited there for a few more tortuous hours until the bells chimed signaling the city was safe. Finally issac and branden came back into my chambers, iona jumped issac in a hug before realising he was covered in soot leaping away disgustedly. Issac seemed to have a smile stuck on his face for the rest of the day.

father did exactly what we expected despite not bothering to go the war council he still made a big show of parading around the city shouting about his ' courageous victory'. He even insisted on having a ball to commemorate it regardless of the nkarian army waiting on our doorstep. He hasn't acknowledged brandon's surprise return telling all the nobles that it was his idea all along. Despite this show of pride being exactly what we needed from him right now I still felt fire in my veins at his audacity. I couldn't get the image of the nkarions leader out of my head it wasn't because of the acceptable reasons like fear or loathing no i found myself looking up to her she fits in perfectly with the heroines in my books. I wonder what she thought of me, how frail I must seem.

Iona took great delight in making me prepared for the ball I was just about ready to tell her that my ribcage might just pop out if she tightened the dress anymore when issac and branden arrived. Issac chuckled but was swiftly shut up by a jab in the torso from branden. I was wearing more of an art piece than a dress layers upon layers of snow white silk adorned with heavy white pearls and lace tulle my hair was bundled up into a convoluted bun and a tiara was resting on my head. "Wow." Issac said restaining laughter. "you look like a cake." Iona pursed her lips at issacs comment.

I helped design this dress.

Issac went pink. "I meant it as a compliment. I love cake!" Issac babbled. "Issac what are you doing here shouldn't you go get the girl you you will be escorting?" Issac smiled and wrapped his arm around iona "I've already got her."

not if you carry on comparing my dress to cake.

Iona smirked moving his arm and leaving the room, issac followed like a lost puppy professing his undying love for convection Aries. Branden smiled affectionately "well I think you look lovely. Will you occupuny me to this ball." Reminding me of when we were little and he would sneak me into balls and dance with me all night despite the ever growing line of girls waiting for their turn. " That would be lovely."

we entered the room to a flurry of trumpets. "Presenting Crown prince Branden Whitwood, prince Issac Whitwood and princess Rosalyn Whitwood." I could feel all the eyes in the room on us as a song started up and we were ushered to the dance floor. the music started and branden and I danced through the room. Normally I was half decent on the dance floor but it was much harder when i had a skirt twice my size. After I stepped on brandon's toe for the fifth time he started chuckling. "What are you laughing about?" I asked incredulously. "Nothing just nice to see you haven't changed completely."

"I resent that, normally im very graceful." At this he snorted making some of the other couples look at us. "when did you get such a good sense of humour Ros?"

"what like your the pinnacle of elegance? I remember you falling over your feet and nearly sitting on your sword when teresa lock fell in the fountain whilst wearing a white dress." At this I started chuckling to and soon the whole of the hall was giving us disapproving looks. Mercifully the song came to an end. "It's so good to have you home." I said earnestly. He smiled and ruffled my hair. "Good to be back."

After that we both got swept off with different partners branden was a perfect gentleman dancing with each and every woman who wanted a turn unlike issac who only danced with iona. Sadly my tolerance for dancing was wearing thin. Whoever decided that the combination of high heels and dancing was a good idea was a sadist. The only thing that kept me from leaving was claude's remarks whenever she swept by, "Princess, are you alright those shoes of yours must be killing you they're almost high enough to make you reach my shoulder." She was wearing an emerald dress that accented her olive skin tone perfectly midnight hair braided back at the front and left loose around her shoulders. "your right about the shoes there so high you could maybe even impale someone with them."

Claude laughed. "You always were a jester," slowly the song came to an end and I was finally ready to admit defeat and retire to my room before promptly tossing these foul shoes out the window when another man started walking towards me, "May I have this dance?" Just as I was seriously considering my threat of stabbing someone with my shoe Issac cut in. "Sorry to interrupt but I have to speak to my sister. "

We left the ballroom and walked down a deserted hallway isaacs face was scrunched up in concentration. I looked at him expectantly. He turned bright pink uttering a stream of ums and urs. " Issac." I said getting tired of the waiting game. "Whatever it is you can tell me." Issac nodded taking a deep breath. "Well ros-" suddenly a scream erupted from the ballroom.

issac sped down the hallway turning the corner but I lagged behind on account of my dress. I rounded the corner, the ballroom finally coming into view a small nkarion insurgency had somehow gotten in and were fighting the guards. I saw branden through the open doorway sword out and ready. I was forced to watch as a nation appeared behind him and stabbed him in the back. "NO!" I screamed unleashing the force of my magic to send the warrier hurtling away. Branden fell to his knees as i finally reached him. His blood soaked my dress as I held him his eyes already dimming.

"Branden!" I wailed. trying to stop the blood with my hands. He couldn't get a response out blood clogging his throat. Then his eyes slowly closed as if falling into a deep sleep. "Branden!" I trembled. Shaking his shoulders. Suddenly their were arms trying to take me away "No!" I screamed. "I Wont leave him." They tried to pull me again. "NO!" My magic roared in my stomach blasting the nkarions away and shattering the ballroom windows. But I barely noticed still staring at branden who lay limp in my arms and although i refused to believe it branden was dead.