Chapter Thirty-one

Start from the beginning

Even Eugene. Only in his hand was his cane.

He had finally stopped using the leg braces, and that made me happy—even happier than seeing him again after so long.

"Look! There's an orchestra too," Beth squealed, and there was, only they weren't playing yet.

"Settle down, now," Mister Kupka said, but he seemed ready to jump out of his shoes too. "It should be time for the first dance. Let's line up."

Once we began lining up, Silas stepped out of his line. Under the cue the guests cleared the middle of the front hall. Silas, his beard trimmed, and ruffles spilling from his collar, cleared his throat before he began to speak.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I want to say two things before the ball commences. First off, I want to thank you for attending the first Christmas Ball the Beardsleys have hosted in over decades. Despite our Father's untimely death and the unfortunate situation regarding the inheritance, we brothers believe Christmas is still a holiday we shall enjoy to the utmost." He smiled convincingly, looking crestfallen although I knew it was only an act. "Our Father in heaven would surely wish that too.

"As for the second thing, I would simply like to wish each and every one of you a merry Christmas Eve and to enjoy your time here." He turned to the orchestra." May the first dance begin!"

At his command, the musicians's limbs began to adjust themselves. The composer raised his arms, and with a sudden movement, noise began to flow. It was a beautiful song.

However, no couple went on the floor yet. People looked at the Beardsleys. Without any hesitation, Silas walked over to where the maids were standing. I clammed up, but thankfully he headed towards Rhiannon.

He placed one arm behind him, bent down, and then offered her a gloved hand.

"May I have the pleasure?"

Unshaken, and as if he was not her master, and with her chin still held high, she nodded.

"Yes."

We watched in awe as the first couple walked into the middle. Rhiannon danced gracefully, like she was born to dance, and they looked like a pair made in heaven, if not for Silas's terrible personality. Then another surprise, and more pleasant one, happened.

"May I also have the pleasure?" Harper offered his hand to Clo. He looked awkward standing there, clueless as to how to bow, but Clo's eyes were soft.

"I don't know how to dance," she said, in a voice we never heard before. We wondered where her usual sass went.

"I can't either."

"Just go, Clo!" Beth teased. Without further ado, she took his hand, face down, and then they also went into the dance floor that was slowly, but surely, getting filled.

"They are going to become a pair at this rate, I just know it!" Beth watched them with a cheeky grin, and I laughed.

"Don't you have anyone you want to dance with?"

"Maybe I'll ask Mister Kupka for the fun of it—oh, but can a lady ask a gentlemen—" she was saying, but then her face suddenly turned pale. "I think I need to go somewhere, Shuyan."

"Beth? Wait, Beth—" before I knew it, Beth had weaved into the crowd of people. A couple danced by, then two women trailed after, their dresses taking up another minute or so. Before I knew it, I lost track of her. Why had she ran away?

I turned back to find some familiar faces, and saw Matheus.

"May I have the pleasure of your first dance?" he asked. I blushed, flustered.

"Are you sure? I'm not much of a dancer."

"Oh, you're bound to be better than me. I can hardly even walk for long now." Smiling, I took his hand and we went into the dance floor where people waltzed to the piano and violin. We swayed in tune with the couples around us, forgoing the more complicated steps, but I felt warm and happy as I gazed into his laughing face. It was the face I'd always imagined Santa Claus to have in my childhood.

As we waltzed, I could see his eyes grow teary.

"What's wrong, Matheus?" Was my dancing that terrible? "Do you want to sit?"

"No, no," he said, shaking his head softly, the smile still on his face. "You just have no idea how happy I am to find someone who can make my master look forward to everyday." He looked at the crowd, and when I followed his eyes, I saw Eugene. He stood there at the Christmas tree with Elijah and Olive, probably because those three couldn't dance.

"Ever since I became his valet, some time after he broke his leg, I have thought it was hopeless to make the young boy desire for life again. For anything. He always holed up in his room, growing more distant to his brothers with each day and closer to his animal companions. But you—I don't know what you did or say, but with you he changed."

I watched Eugene as Matheus spoke, unable to comprehend it. No—unwilling to. Because if I did, then I was sure I would get too ahead of myself. I would desire too much.

"Shuyan, I want to thank you for everything. And I also wish that you would never leave the boy, because if you ever did, I'm sure that would be too much for him to bear."

Eugene suddenly turned around and caught my eye. My heart skipped, and I turned my head back to Matheus as fast as I could.

"There is no need to thank me." I gave a shaky smile, and then the music stopped.

The first dance was over.