"Yes." Matheus sighed, as though he had a heavy burden. "I need your help, Shuyan. Recently, Master Eugene hasn't been in a good mood, and he's hurting himself."

"What? He's hurting himself?" I almost knocked over the tea in my haste.

"Calm down," Rudy said. I gulped and sat back into my seat.

"The thing is, Eugene has been using leg braces."

"Leg braces?" I frowned. "And what of it?"

"He's been trying so hard to dance that the braces dig into his skin and flesh, and he bleeds. Yet no matter how much I persuade him to stop, he won't. He says he promised to dance with you, and he won't let you down."

I suddenly remember. Then the feelings all hit me at once.

How could I not see?

I thought he was learning how to walk so he could move on without me. I thought he was learning how to dance so he could dance with everyone. I had forgotten the promise we made, and not given any thought to what he cared about so much.

I was the one in the wrong.

"Shuyan?" Rudy suddenly asked, looking worried. "You're crying."

I touched my cheeks. I was.

"I'm sorry. I don't know why—"

"Master Eugene is there right now," Matheus said. "The room with his pets. He always is when he's lonely." His eyes looked at mine. I understood.

I stood up and wiped my eyes. "Sorry. I think I have somewhere I have to go."

"Goodnight then," Matheus said with a smile. Rudy nodded. I raced up the stairs.

I was so focused on my own suffering that I hurt Eugene too. I was the worst servant ever. I couldn't be his equal, much less protect him.

I was a hypocrite.

When I reached his door, I inhaled before knocking.

"Who is it?"

The voice that responded was weak and low, almost like it had given up. I missed his enthusiastic greeting.

"It's me, Shuyan." There was silence. "Can I enter?" There was still no response. My palms began to sweat. I looked down at my boots.

"I'm sorry, Master Eugene." There was no still reply. My heart sank. "I'm so sorry for what I said that day. I disregarded your feelings and everything, but please don't stop talking to me—"

The door flew open.

I turned my head to look at him in surprise, and only ended up gaping at him.

He was smiling, although a bit awkwardly. He was dressed in his nightwear again, a long white shirt with a shawl around his shoulders. In the crook of one arm was a familiar black and white rabbit.

Snow-White.

"Shuyan," he said. "I'm sorry I took some time getting to the door. I couldn't use my cane and hold Snow-White at the same time."

"Oh—oh." I was stammering from seeing him so suddenly. I had thought he was ignoring me, and prepared a speech. Having come face to face with him was unexpected.

"Come inside."

I looked down the hall, made sure it was empty, and then went inside and closed the door after me.

"Master Eugene, I want to apologize for what I said the other day."

His back was facing me as he spoke.