Chapter 5

Imani's Mother (Tori)

"Triston why are you here? I told you, you can't just come unannounced"
"Tori can't I just come and see you, I've really missed you"
"Missed what? Huh it's not like I'm your woman"
"Well you can't deny the history we've had together, you're still as beautiful" he walked towards me and touched my face softly.
"Please don't do this. What is it that you want?"
"Damn Tori you ain't even going to ask how I'm doing or even offer me something to drink"
"You know damn well Imani can't find you here, she'll ask questions"
"Questions about what huh..she deserves to know the truth"
"I'm not even going to start with you. Please just leave"
"Ok ok I didn't mean to get you upset. We'll move at your pace. There is an artist called August Alsina remember the guy I told you I work for?"
"Ya your rich celebrities"
"Well his sister passed away and she left behind three girls. Now the only person they have left is August. He's  adopting them. And it's just the two of us in that big house he needs extra hands with the girls"
"What a shame. You know I'm busy"
"Well just let me finish. I was thinking Imani uses her extra time to come and help out. I know it's not the ideal job but we really need a woman to help out"
"Oh now I see. You just want to use this to get closer to her. That's not happening."
"Tori since when are you refusing to help out desperate people. Imani needs this job to help"
"First of all you don't know what she needs. You can't just walk in here and ask for favors"
"It's not a favor for goodness sake I'm offering her a job"
"She can get a job anywhere else, besides she's busy with her studies. I'm not going to let you ruin things for her like you did with me"
"Oh now I see what this is about.. I am so sorry about what happened Tori I can't change the past. I want to make it right let me do that"
"Make it right do you have any idea what you put us through, you just got up and left without saying anything. You abandoned your family" tears were streaming down my face. The hurt and anger he caused me really cut me deep. I'm never going to allow him to hurt me again.
"I just want to make it right Tori please allow me to do that. I promise I won't say a word to her. I just want to be able to watch her. At least give me that. I'm her father I also love her"
"I don't know. I'll think about it just leave"
"Promise me you'll consider it"
"Just leave, I'll think about it"
I walked him to the door and watched him get in his car and drive away. There's so much that I still have to tell Imani but I can't. I always thought I would come clean about her father but I just can't bring myself to do it. Tristan and I used to date back in Ethiopia. He had family there but he was born here in America. He just came to visit during holidays. We were both young and in love and it happened that I fell pregnant. I told him about it and he never came back. He just left for America and I waited every holiday thinking he would come see me but he never did. I had to face consequences back at home. Getting pregnant out of wedlock is taken very seriously back at home. I had to face punishment but I still made it. When we moved here it happened that we met and of cause I still remembered those features. We spoke a few times well actually we've been in contact. I've been meaning to tell Imani but I just can't bring myself to do it. But maybe this is a good opportunity for her to get to know him. I'm not ready to let her know he is her father though.
I dialed her number to let her know I was coming over.

Me- Hey baby
Imani💜-  Hey mom I miss you
Me- I miss you too. Guess what? I'm coming over to your place. There's something I  want to  talk to you about.
Imani💜- It must be  serous that you can't even tell me over the phone.
Me- I think it's better we talk about it face to face. So expect me in an hour.
Imani💜- Ok mom I'll see you then.

My mind is going back and fourth as I am driving to Imanis place. I really dont know how she will feel if I come clean, will she even look at me the same way? I  can't afford to have my daughter not speak to me. It's not fair for Triston to show up and think things should go the way he wants it too. But at the same  time my daughter deserves to have a relationship with him. Before I knew it I had arrived at her place. I  walked out of my car and walked slowly to her apartment trying to drag time. All of this is just a lot to face.

"Mom come in" she held the door back so I could come inside.
"What's up? You look stressed"
"Oh baby I'm ok, I just have a lot on my mind, Bambi misses you"
"I should really come by. Is she not giving you problems yet?"
"You know my sweet baby never does, she just moody at times you know"
"Oh she's entering that phase"
"Ya I guess, why are you so tiny Imani? haven't you been eating?"
"Mom come on I feel fat, I've even cut down on the sugar I've been consuming"
"Well looks like I'll have to cook for you because clearly you're not eating right"
"Well mom I know you didn't come all this way to tell me that. Can I make some tea for you"
"Ya sure....well honestly I came to bring you good news"
"Really?"
"Well I don't know how you'll take it. But I know how you love helping people and you have such a caring heart. There's this guy I know through friends. He came to offer you a job that I think will be perfect for you"
"What kind of job is it?"
"Well this guy friend works for a celebrity...he said his name is August something...ahh?"
"Alsina?"
"Ya that. He must be a movie star or something like that. This celebrity apparently lost his sister recently and the sister left behind three girls and there's no one around helping. So that's were you come in as a nanny or caretaker something like that"
"His name sounds familiar..oh remember the pictures I posted of me and Sky when we went out to a concert. It was August performing  I guess he's  this big rnb star"
"Oh so you know him"
"Well not really...but I'm actually willing to help out"
"I knew you would...my tea please"
She went to the counter to prepare it for me.
"So who is this generous guy friend of yours that was willing to give me a job?"
"Ummm well...you guys will meet. He's  not really a friend you see..we just have mutual friends"
"I see, does he have a name"
"I  actually forgot, he works for August."
"Oh ok"

Comment and vote!!! I love you for reading, until next time Bye.