Chapter Six: We're All In This Together

Start from the beginning

"We're all in this together," My eyes widened at Miss Jenn's operatic singing voice, "Once we know, who we are, we're all stars, and we see that."

As soon as she began singing, Nini let go of Ricky and Gina's hands and began flipping through her script. In response, Ricky let go of EJ's hand, though EJ continued to hold mine.

"We're all in this together. And it shows when we stand, hand in hand make our dreams co-o-o-ome...truuuuuuuu," I exchanged looks with Big Red and EJ that said 'what is going on' as Miss Jenn held out the last note. Once she finished, Ashlyn clapped, but quickly stopped as she was the only one who did so.

'Thanks.' Miss Jenn mouthed.

~~~

After some really weird drama exercises, we finally started the read through, and I have to admit...I felt really bad for Big Red. He doesn't read out loud, like, ever, and being someone with no theater experience, he doesn't know anything about stage directions or script outlines or anything, so he really has no clue what's going on.

On top of that however, there's no emotion in most of the line recitations and Miss Jenn has decided that she is going to sing all of the songs which is...interesting. I mean, she's a good singer, don't get me wrong but its just...its an odd experience.

"Sharpay heads for class She hears singing opens the door to the biology lab she finds Gabriella and Taylor washing their hands they turn to find there are no paper towels in the dispenser they-"

"Stop." Miss Jenn said. "Don't run it all together. Read the punctuation."

"Sharpay coma heads for class period."

~~~

"...and they're hearing the songs in their heads period."

"And that's act one. Lets take a break." Everyone dispersed and I turned to Big Red.

"That wasn't bad!" I told him. He shot me a skeptically look. "So you're not a big reader. There are a lot of people that reading doesn't come naturally to. Its perfectly normal." He shook his head.

"I didn't sign up for this." He pointed out.

"Yeah...I know. But we all appreciate you stepping up?" I tried. He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Just...you know, read it like your talking. Don't say the punctuation just pause the way that punctuation does." He nodded, opening the script again.

"Sharpay heads for class. She hears singing and opens the door to the biology lab."

"See! You've got this, its all gonna be fine." He nodded.

"Thanks, Megan."

"No problem." he stood up, following Ricky out of the room. I took the opportunity to take my notebook out and work on Ashlyn and I's song.  EJ stood up, taking his Letter Jacket off as Nini came to stand in front of him.

"Whoa. If that kids our stage manager, we'll be lucky if the curtains open."

"Oh hey, give him a break. Its his first time reading out loud since the 5th grade science fair."

"Oh, no, no, no, don't get me wrong. I like the guy. I was just kind of hoping we'd get through act one by Christmas." Nini chuckled, and I found myself not really liking this side of EJ.

This side? What are you talking about, Megan?! You barely know him!

"I was also hoping we'd get to sing the songs."

"I don't know. Maybe Miss Jenn just wants us to pay attention to the lyrics." She said, straightening his shirt collar. I glanced over to Ricky, who was watching them with his phone in his hand. He felt me staring at him and made eye contact.

'Sorry.' I mouthed. He shrugged, offering me a smile.

"Well yeah, but I mean...she can't sing 'em like you can." He put a hand on her face and she smiled. He went to kiss her but her phone buzzed.

"Oh, wait."

I don't know EJ. Not personally. But I can't help but notice from that small interaction that he tries to hard...at everything, now that I think about it. Nini chuckled about whatever she saw on her phone.

"Who's that from?" EJ asked, and I could already feel the suspicion radiating off of him.

"Oh, no its nothing." She said, sitting back down in her seat again. EJ turned, glancing at where Ricky was standing, and Ricky just shot him a smug look before looking back down at his phone which was in hand.

How could that possibly go wrong there?

"Ok people," Miss Jenn announced, "We're back!"