CHAPTER 13:

They started strolling again, just stopping for Mary to hand him more books, both of them were silent and it seemed to stretch on forever until they finished the row.
The section next to Fiction was Classics. Mary scowled and started to retreat back to the left where the following row was romantic.

-"So did you ever read a classical book ?" He asked her laughing at her reaction.
They walked without stopping and Mary looked at him confused.
-"I tried to, few years back but always ended up neglecting them. I only succeeded in reading a collection of Sherlock Holmes Adventures and Agatha Christie ;however, I have to admit Sir Conan Doyle was really talented and his books are outstanding."

-"He's one of favorite authors, I admire his writing style. The cleverness and the humor of Holmes always makes me think that the writer -Conan Doyle- is as smart as his character. Did you read The Scarlet Letter ?"

-"Nice depiction."—Mary showed an impressed face—"I heard it was his first book but no I didn't, it's on my TBR list though."
-"It's really good, you should probably read it if you loved the collection." He grinned.
-"I'll try to," They still haven't reached the end of the corridor when suddenly Edward stopped and lifted the book Me Before You.

It had the movie-adaptation cover, with Emilia Clark and the other actor who Mary didn't remember his name, the one who was in The Hunger Games, not exactly The Hunger Games but in Catching Fire.
-"I've seen a lot of people talk about this book." He said stacking five books in one hand and turning Me Before you to its back.
Not until now, did Mary really have a look at Edward.

He was actually a stunning-looking boy, I see why girls are making all this fuss about him.

He was at least five inches taller than her. Square shoulders and mighty arms.
His hair was smooth and shiny even though it was as black as coal. It was pushed at one side. His jaw was sharp but she noticed the tiny dimples earlier.

He looks like my favorite villains in books with all-black-hair-and-clothes thing. Villains that usually nobody sympathizes with them.
Villains that the world broke to the point they became monsters.

Mary shook her head clearing away those thoughts that kept begging her to write them. If he wasn't right before her, she would take out her phone and start describing him in Notes.
-"Mary, are you with me ?" He asked adding the book to his list.

God, maybe I was staring at him unconsciously.

-"Sorry, I just drifted away. What did you said ?" She said shaking her head again.
-"Never-mind, I just asked you if you read this one before ?" He said speaking of Me Before You.

-"No, I don't read romantic books, too much emotions for me and they bore me to death."
-"So you don't like Romantic and Classical books?"

-"No, I don't. They can be very realistic. I read books to escape reality. Though I was going to watch the movie until a friend spoiled it for me."

-"Is it sad at the end?" He asked walking again.
-"Do you really want to know?" She smiled.
-"No, I actually don't." He smiled back at her, eyes shining.

They descended the stairs to the circulation desk where Marcus Chapman sat.
Marcus was a well-built man, he hit the military when he was 18 years old and developed Arthritis in his knees due to his hard workouts, thus Marcus was disqualified from the military service at the age of 25 and decided to build business at the library.
His eyes were a Carolina blue matching his very gray hair and light beard as he looked up from some papers.

-"Good evening gentleman. Good evening Mary." Said Marcus in a thick voice.
-"Good evening," replied Mary and Edward at the same time.
Edward checked the books on the desk pulling his membership card.

-"I see you changed the genre. These young-adult books are very entertaining. How long you will be taking them ?" Asked Marcus while typing something in the computer.

-"I think a month and then maybe I'll renew if I don't finish them." He replied looking at down at Mary. She could see him staring at her from the corner of her eyes.
Her face heated aware of his eyes, she turned to look at the study tables in the first floor. Adults sat there, some accompanied and discussing very softly, others studying with their computers or books.

Someone coughed and she turned back to Edward.
-"So do you want to meet so we can start working on the project?" He asked inching away from the circulation desk.
-"I'm free tomorrow afternoon," she shrugged.
-"Okay, so tomorrow at 2pm here. Is it good for you?" He stashed the books and put them in a backpack he kept near the Properties section.
-"Yeah sure." She answered.
-"Okay, see you tomorrow. Do you need a ride? I'll have my brother's car tomorrow. I can pick you up."
-"That really won't be necessary. I like walking anyway."

She opened the door, chimes ringing and went back home thinking of what the hell is happening to her life.
This is too much energy for her, she rarely talks and she's tired of trying to decipher what Edward say and what his eyes do.
Mary was always fascinated of how they described eyes in books especially those her eyes were full of joy. Hurt flashed through his eyes and disappeared.
Eyes language is very hard, how can she know by looking ?

🥀

2020/01/04 what do you all think about this chapter ? And Marcus ?
Can you read eyes ?