four

Clover walked into the restaurant, tucking her phone into her purse as the man-Brian-wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

"Table for two, Masquerade?" He mutters to the hostess, who nods and leads them to a quieter area of the restaurant. "Two glasses of your finest cabernet, please."

"How've you been, Brian?" She hums, glancing at the menu.

Brian was a CEO she met with once a month, same time and place. He was very busy, but always fit it in his schedule.

He really just liked to take her out and talk. Brian was one of her very first clients that's stuck with her since. He'd never missed a meeting.

He actually had a wife, who knew of these excursions. They'd grab dinner as if they were old friends, he just wanted someone to talk to him as if he weren't a billionaire, and make him feel young again. He wasn't even that old, truthfully, but running a company ages you.

Clover's eyes widened as she saw Ethan walk into the restaurant.

His eyes fell on the mans hand on hers, and he felt a pang of jealousy. It's not like they were dating-but he didn't really want to see her with other clients.

She looked back to Brian and focused on him, ignoring Ethan and whoever he was with. They were sat behind her so she couldn't look at them, but Ethan sure could look at Clover.

"I'll be right back, forgot something in the car," he mumbles to Grayson.

On his way out he motions for Clover to follow, hoping she will. It had been another couple weeks since they'd gone out.

"Can you excuse me for a minute?" She asks Brian, tapping her foot impatiently. She wanted to make this quick. Luckily, he nodded and she waltzed out of the restaurant. "Grant, what are you doing?"

Clover crossed her arms over her chest with a slight pout. She'd never ran into a client while out with another before.

"What are you doing?" He asked back. "That guys like, 50!"

"He's a client," she huffed. "And he's only 43. But it's not like he's my boyfriend, we're just grabbing dinner. You know I have other clients."

"Yeah, but I-" he sighs. "I know. It's just weird seeing you out and about."

Clover places a hand on his arm, giving a soft smile. "Well, if you wanna see me again you're gonna have to call. I'm sorry we ran into each other like this, I know it can be weird when you're with people. But I really should get back in there."

Ethan opened his mouth to stutter out more words but nothing came, so he watched her walk away instead.

Huffing, he paced for a few more minutes before going back inside. Grayson and their friends welcome him back with smiles, which he returns, and then his eyes land on Clover again across the restaurant.

With his jaw clenched, hand tightly gripping his glass, it's pretty obvious something's up with him. He's staring at her back as the man feeds her a bite of their appetizer.

"E, you good?" Grayson asks quietly.

Ethan snaps out of it, nodding his head. "Yeah, sorry, just tired."