one

Ethan turned the matte black card over in his hand with a sigh, debating whether or not to call. The glossy red text was staring back at him, reflecting the dim street light. Was there really any harm in just seeing what they offered?

MASQUERADE
searching for something new?
want to be someone new?

It sounded so appealing-so easy. The card had a phone number on the back, and in fine print they promised secrecy. But Ethan never really thought he'd find himself calling an escort service.

Of course, he knew their reputation. Sex was strictly off limits. He wasn't sure if they actually abided by that or if it was just to keep them from getting in trouble with the law, but everyone knew it was one of their rules. That's not what he was looking for anyway; Ethan just wanted genuine company.

"This is pathetic," he mumbled, shoving the card back into his pocket.

The card was given to him at a private event, shuffled between quiet hands and not mentioned aloud. People knew of the service, but they were otherwise very secretive.

He started up his car, sparing one last glance at the apartment building before driving away. He never wanted to see it again.

Inside of that building was a girl named Brittany. A girl Ethan was really starting to like until tonight. A girl who had used him because of his name, again. It seemed to happen too often these days.

He nodded to Grayson as he walked through the living room, heading straight through before being stopped by his brother.

"What happened with Brittany?" He asked, already frowning. Ethan was home way earlier than intended, obviously something was wrong.

"What do you think?" Ethan sighs, stuffing his hands into his pockets. Just another girl that didn't work out. "I'm gonna head to bed early,"

Grayson shook his head. "C'mon, come out with me. Get your mind off of her," his attempts to persuade Ethan were futile. "Alright. I'm sorry, man. I'll see you in the morning? Get some sleep,"

Ethan nodded, watching his brother leave before going into his bedroom. Stripping out of his clothes and climbing into bed, he got comfortable but couldn't fall asleep.

After tossing and turning for a few minutes, he lets out a loud groan. Brittany was another goddamn social climber.

At this point, Ethan didn't think he'd ever find anyone. Him and Grayson had their group of friends, which they'd lost a handful of in the last year, and he couldn't trust anyone else.

Grayson was able to find some people who didn't use him, why couldn't Ethan? Was it his own fault?

Telling himself he would call Masquerade tomorrow, he typed in the url of a website he was all too familiar with these days. Pornhub.

As Ethan was doing so, Clover was wrapping up a night out with an older man.

"It was lovely to see you, Jennifer," he smiled, kissing her on the cheek. "See you soon, my darling,"

"Bye, pumpkin!" She waved as she climbed into her Uber, immediately dropping the act of Jennifer-the old mans deceased wife.