three

Clover yawned as she walked into her home, the clock on her wall reading 4am. She'd met with three clients today, and was exhausted. Tomorrow was supposed to be her day off, but of course, her phone rang as she was pouring a bowl of cereal.

"Clover! Hope I didn't wake you," Evelyn said into the phone, sounding pretty tired herself.

"No, I just got home," the girl says quietly, moving toward her bedroom. "Let me guess, I'm working tomorrow?"

Her boss laughed. It was obvious at this point. "Only if you want to, of course. That guy, Grant, would like to see you again."

Clover, despite her tiredness, perked up slightly. They met once, a little over two weeks ago, and he never called again. She'd been a bit curious about him.

The reason Ethan hadn't called was because he kept telling himself it was stupid. But he kept thinking about it-about her-and decided to give Masquerade another go. This time, he'd planned a little more than just being awkward around her at a club.

"He said he'd like to pick you up, if you're comfortable. I know you've only met him once... I don't know if it's a good idea," but Clover agreed instantly. "Alright, I'll give him the details in the morning. He called a couple of hours ago so he's most likely sleeping now. Grant can't know your address, obviously, so he can pick you up here. Three in the afternoon, he said."

Ethan was feeling a little bolder, taking her out in the middle of the day and wanting to drive her. Now that he knew what to expect, he was hoping to be less nervous around her.

Clover got the details and hung up the phone, eyelids heavy, knowing she was going to be tired tomorrow too. But she was curious about seeing Grant.

After finishing her cereal, begrudgingly getting up to put her dish in the sink, and then taking a late-night shower, she finally passes out.

The next day, just before three rolls around, she finds herself sitting in the Masquarade offices scrolling through her phone. Ethan walks in exactly ten minutes early.

"Hey," he smiles, stuffing his hands in his pockets. The few other people around the office all looked up at him.

It was pretty dead in the middle of the afternoon, luckily. Clover smiled back at him, waved to Evelyn, and walked out with her hand in his.

"I'm guessing this isn't actually where you live?" He laughs. "Not judging, but..."

"It's not," Clover shakes her head, giggling along with him. "Just for privacy concerns, I'm not allowed to share my address. My boss was already against you just picking me up."

He jogs ahead of her, opening the door of his Jeep to let her in. "I'm not that sketchy, am I?"

She hums, watching him closely. "I'll let you know at the end of the day," he rolls his eyes at her teasing, driving out of the parking lot. "So, where are you taking me?"

Clover was told to dress casual, so she wasn't sure what to expect. There were a million things they could do in LA.

"It's not far. I just figured it'd be cool to hangout and talk, not in the back room of a club."

Ethan was wearing a long sleeve shirt, plaid pants, and had a beanie and sunglasses on. He was obviously trying to lay low, so she assumed it was somewhere at least semi-public.

"I'll have you know I've had many good conversations in the back of that club," she protests. "So, are you still gonna be nervous and awkward?"

"Am I paying just for you to tease me the whole time?" He laughs.