26. Winds of War [part I]

«It is an unusual amount of time we're asking you before us, Garaham. And I kind of wished it wasn't always to discuss matters of dubious nature.» Della Rovere's voice had all the steely resolve of a truck, running right towards a deer. But Garaham didn't look in the least like one, helplessly looking at its own demise, on the contrary: his eyes were mirrors of perfect inner calm and his squared face a mask of tranquility.

«Well, I suspect the outcome won't be much different than last time, Councillors, and we will all go back to our jobs sooner rather than later.» he replied, standing in front of the Council table, in the Leshrac Fortress once more. It seemed that, since the werepeople attacks, they had found much more comfortable to stop running from one room to the other and favorited the high security of the Australian castle rather than risking somewhere else.

«We'll be the judges of that.» Jägermann rose to his feet, trying to exploit his full, short height. In a way, Garaham thought, he was slightly taller than Staccato, now that he could compare. «So, let's say about yesterday evening.»

«A massive disappointment, I know.» Garaham nodded.

«Not the point, Garaham, don't try to be a smartass with us.» the German glared at him. «Care to share opinions?»

«I most certainly have none.» he said. He could feel Della Rovere's attempts to read his mind. But he had lived ten years with his daughter, way more powerful than he was in the ways of mind-reading, and he had learned much time before to shield his thoughts, misleading eventual readers. Of course, had Della Rovere tried to pry open his mind, he would have succeeded without breaking a sweat, but that would have taken him more time and concentration than the Council room could allow and, more importantly, probable cause. Mages didn't see well-forced mind-reading, not even from Councillors.

«Well, Dispel was used.» Jägermann cut to the chase. «Which basically means Enforcers. We would chalk it up to a prank between mages, especially since the Expendables are all but liked around the Boston Headquarters, but Dispel, and that much Dispel clearly speaks of an Enforcer's hand in the game. An this is beyond serious.»

Garaham didn't flinch. He had been preparing for this moment since he had his idea. He was in no delusion to avoid interrogation.

«It is serious indeed.»

«Garaham, stop avoiding the questions!» this time, it was Della Rovere to raise his voice, clearly upset by his shielding. The Enforcer looked towards him.

«I'm not avoiding anything, there had been no question, and I can't possibly see what are you asking of me, or if you're asking something of me at all. Do you need me to investigate what happened?»

«You requested the Concert, Garaham. It does look quite convenient that a prank that unmasks one of the most well-masked Mages of the Order, right in front of everyone, happens right at that moment. We merely want to know: do you have anything to do with it, at all?» Della Rovere asked.

«Not at all, Councilman.» Garaham lied, blatantly, to everyone's face, without blinking an eye. It was controlled, calm, and looking straight into Della Rovere's eyes while he did it.

A short silence followed his sentence.

«Well, truth be told...» Viceroy shrugged. «... he's not exactly known to be a funny prankster.»

The whole Council took a moment to ponder, and then slightly nod in front of the evidence of that sentence. Garaham's hand tightened their grip behind his back. He could never have thought that a solidly built reputation of stark overachiever would save him the one time he thought about a practical joke.