Chapter 11 : Long night

The next day, Max brought Jane to the police station. The Chief kept her for the day to interrogate her and to make her do a psychological test. Gabrielle was there too, to know if she was going to make a complaint against Jane or not. Max hoped she wouldn't, but she could understand why she would do it, it was an assault. The black-haired girl approached Max with a tired face.

- "How is Lucas?" asked shyly Max.

- "He can't talk, which is not totally bad news. He needs multiple operations for his jaw, but he doesn't have a concussion. The insurance can cover majority of the hospitalization and operations."

- "Oh, that's great, I'm happy for you."

- "Look, I don't want to make a complaint against Jane, she is sick, she needs help, and you did so much for me. I know you can't stay on her back every second of your life, I'm sorry for what I said yesterday..."

- "It's fine, I understand, you were scared, Jane was crazy, but if you think you should make a complaint and ask for justice, I understand."

Gabrielle nodded. The second after, the Chief reappeared, freeing Jane.

- "I already said I didn't want to make a complaint," told Gabrielle. "It won't help her."

- "I, I don't know how to thank you!"

- "Well...I, I was thinking, maybe, you could help me with...financial budget, for Sinclair..."

- "Of course, no problem, we've two salaries, we can help you."

- "Thank you."

Max put a friendly hand on Gabrielle's shoulder before leaving the police station with her girlfriend. She was glad Gabrielle didn't make a complaint, it would have complicated everything. But she wasn't sure Jane understood how wrong it was to punch him. At least, someone changed her bandages, it looked better.

They stayed the night at the hotel before going back to New-York. Jane's boss heard about this quarrel and decided to suspend her for two weeks, upsetting a lot the girl. Now, Jane had to stay at the apartment all day long, getting bored and finding every reason to be angry! So, Max decided to work more, first to help Gabrielle with Lucas, and second to avoid Jane as much as possible. She preferred hearing her co-workers mock her gender, her sexuality, or even her hair, than hearing Jane yell at her for nothing, with the risk to get punched or worse. It wasn't the right thing to do, but, for now, it was her only solution.

She had been in the kitchen for four hours, so she decided to take her break right after the rush hour. She went outside, a bit aside of the waitresses, lighted a cigarette, and called Gabrielle with her mobile phone.

- "Hello?" answered the black-haired girl.

- "Hey, how are you?" asked Max with her cigarette between her lips.

- "Tired, Sinclair was operated yesterday, he still can't talk, and he is hurt as fuck, it's horrible to see...and you?"

- "Tired too, Jane has been suspended for only five days, I already can't stand her!"

- "Damn...bad period!"

- "Yeah...I'm sorry for what Jane did, I should have stopped her..."

- "You tried, she was so much lost in her anger that she didn't even notice it was you! Don't worry, it will be better. I'm not mad at you, and not at her either."

- "Well, I'm mad at her! If she wasn't so stubborn, she would see a psychologist, and talk, and empty her mind, and clear her head! But nooo! She preferred staying stuck in her pain! What a dumbass!"