Chapter 1 : Roommates

It was dark outside. The girl was at her kitchen table, reading her book of recipes. There were two plates on the table, but she was alone. She spent the day at the restaurant, and all she was dreaming of was going to sleep, but she was waiting. She didn't know how many time, and especially why she was doing this, because she knew it was useless; it wouldn't change a thing.

The door opened and instantly slammed. The other girl quickly walked in front of the kitchen, slamming all the doors on her way, going straight to the corridor. The girl in the kitchen didn't even look up, knowing it was useless. So she kept waiting. She heard her taking her shower, going to her room, and all those kind of things she had been doing every night. The other girl finally reappeared, a file in her hands, and sat in front of her, taking a bite of her plate, reading her document.

- "So, that's it!? You don't even say hi!?" stated the redhead with an irritated tone.

The brunette didn't answer. She kept reading, giving some quick looks around her, but without watching her girlfriend. Max stood, making grate the chair. Jane brutally started, dropping her fork.

- "What the fuck!?" got angry the brunette.

- "Oh! You have a voice! I was worried you lost your vocal cords at work!"

- "You could prevent when you-"

- "When I what!? Decide to live!? Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm not here just to feed you! I've been waited for you for two hours, and you didn't think one second to call me!"

- "I never asked you to wait for me! If you're tired, just go to sleep and leave me alone!"

- "Yeah, I should have! I just wanted to spend some time with my girlfriend, but it's apparently just theoretical now!"

- "I've other things to do!"

- "Just saying hi and asking me how my day was would have killed you!?"

- "Fuck you Max! I'm working!"

- "Because I spent the day in the couch watching TV!?"

- "Leave me alone!"

Jane angrily stood, took her file and her plate, before going back in the corridor, slamming all the doors behind her.

Max sighed loudly with her mouth and sat again at her table. She was so exhausted. She spent two hours waiting, just to have another quarrel! She had hope every night that it would be different, but it wasn't! It was even worse! She found some courage and cleaned a bit the kitchen before going to the corridor. She arrived at the end of it, and opened the door on her right. Jane was at her desk, reading her file, with her plate next to her.

- "Goodnight," said Max.

Jane didn't answer. Max was even sure that she didn't hear her. She closed her door, feeling a violent pinch in her heart, and opened the door on her left, going in her bed. She stayed a moment looking at her ceiling, thinking too much to fall asleep. She wanted to cry, but she was empty, already crying every night. She was hating Jane for this, for making her feel so bad and so useless. She found some tears inside her eyes and let them fall; it was the only way for her to sleep.

- "NO! GET OFF OF ME! NOT AGAIN!"

Max quickly opened her eyes. She looked around, remembering where she was, and watched her alarm clock. It was only 2. The redhead sighed with her mouth, before getting out of her bed and going in Jane's room. The brunette was in her bed, screaming and fighting with nothing.

- "(lights on) Jane! It's fine! You're at home! (sits next to her and grabs her head) Take a breath, Jane!"

- "DON'T FUCKING TOUCH ME!" got angry Jane, pushing away the girl.

- "Ok! Ok! I'm sorry! I just wanted you to calm down!"

- "I'M FUCKING CALM!"

- "Whatever! I bring you some water."

The redhead stood with a sigh and went to the kitchen to prepare a glass of water. She didn't come back immediately, needing a break. She put her head against the kitchen unit, looking at the glass in the sink under it. She took deep breathes, trying to not break down. She knew Jane wasn't acting like this on purpose, but it was exhausting. She turned her head, and saw the cat in his basket looking at her.

- "Hey Cat, she woke you up too? You don't have problems you, you're just a cat. Lucky you."

Max took the glass, crouched next to the cat to pet him, before going back to Jane's room. The brunette was sweating a lot, with a fast breathing, looking around with worried eyes.

- "It's fine Jane, take a breath."

- "I AM!"

- "And stop yelling!"

Max held out the glass and gave it to her girlfriend. Jane took it, but she was shaking so much that the water was falling on the bed. The redhead quickly grabbed it to stop the carnage. She took a tissue, wetted it, and gently wiped Jane's face.

- "Don't fucking touch me," told sharply Jane, staring into space.

- "I'm leaving," answered Max with a sad tone.

She put the glass on her nightstand and left the room without completely closing the door. She went in her bed and instantly fell asleep because of the tiredness.