Chapter 40: Another Lonely Day

January 2020

"And did you ever grant Vanessa Lippel, then Harrison, any special treatment in the workplace or advanced opportunities, following the consensual intercourse that the two of you implemented on the premises?"

I flinch at the use of such formal words and jargon. Of course I didn't give her special treatment, that would be unethical. Also, I'm not that stupid.

Instead I say, in a rather bored tone, "Absolutely not."

"And did you ever bribe, or blackmail anyone to keep your relationship with Vanessa Lippel, then Harrison, a secret?" Isaac reads from the large binder in front of him.

"No," I say monotonously.

We've been at this for a good hour or so, but it seems that finally the questioning portion of the investigation has come to a close.

Isaac slugs his binder shut, a heavy thud echoing around the conference room from the movement.

"We will take a short recess, and when we return, we'll start with the character reviews," Isaac informs me as he rises from the table.

I do the same, anticipation already kicking in from the thought of seeing her again.

It's the third week in January, and the investigation is finally coming to an end after an entire day dedicated to it. Vanessa finished her questioning this morning, and I asked her to wait outside of the building for me so we could grab lunch together afterwards.

I have a couple of things I want to talk to Vanessa about; like is she really planning on resigning? And, most of all, I want to let her know that I love her.

When I see her waiting on the bench where I asked her to meet me, I almost scoop her up into my arms, and blurt it out right then and there. She looks so breathtaking in her leopard print jacket, and all-black ensemble. Her red lips look so delicious; I can taste them just by staring. When she turns to look at me, her piercing gaze almost punctures a hole in my heart. I suddenly have no control over my legs; they take on a mind of their own, striding across the concrete to their destination.

Her face lights up when she sees me, and then she lets out a surprised gasp as I wrap my arms around her waist, swinging her around in the air in a full 360°.

I press my lips to hers before I set her down; she kisses me back, and all feels right in the world. Now's the perfect moment; worries of deposition can wait until later.

"Hi," I breathe.

"Hi," she smiles, but her caramel eyes are somber.

"I have to tell you something," we both say in unison.

I chuckle. "You first," I say.

She takes in a deep breath, and then searches my eyes for a moment before speaking.

"I received a job offer for more pay, and I'm going to take it," she lets out in one big huff.

It takes me a moment to think rationally, because the first thing that comes to mind is the question of how long she's known and didn't tell me. However, the tormented expression on her face proves she didn't make this decision on a whim. Her brown eyes continue to search mine, and I know she must be feeling so much right now. Jeremiah's confrontation, Audrey's well-being, the investigation; all have taken an emphatic toll on her life.

On both of our lives.

My eyes soften. "You've been contemplating this for awhile."

It's not a question, but an assumption. I know leaving Blue Sky, leaving all of her friends and coworkers she's known for years behind, wasn't an easy choice at all. I know she's really upset that she'll have to leave them, but I have also gotten to know her pretty well over the last couple of months. She's heartbroken.

Suddenly, something clicks into place for me. Dawn and I didn't work out in the past, because I never really loved her. At least, not how love is supposed to be. It was an unhealthy and toxic relationship at best, but being with Vanessa is a different story. She has stolen my heart and shown me what it's like to be truly in love. She makes me want to be better, to do better, she makes me want more; for her, and for her family.

She nods her head slowly, her jaw tensing slightly as her eyes begin to well up with tears. I reach my hand out to wipe away an escaped tear, before placing my palm against her cheek. She leans into my hand, and inhales deeply through her nose as she closes her eyelids.

"V, please don't be upset. This is for the best," I reassure her, rubbing my thumb against her cheek. "I'm so happy for you."

She opens her eyes, and looks at me with so much sincerity that I somehow know the decision that's lurking behind those beautiful, caramel eyes is a somber one. "Chris," she begins apprehensively, not exactly sure how to word what she wants to say.

I know what she has to do, and it's okay. I'm okay with it. It pains me to think of not seeing her any longer, but I know it's what she needs.

I remove my hand from her face to stroke her shoulder-length hair, smoothing back the flyaways. She's so beautiful and kind that it physically hurts me to think about not being with her.

"I know, Vanessa." I take her into my arms once again, and breathe the fresh scent of her in. She relaxes against my chest, and I can feel the small shudders that ripple through her body, telling me everything I need to know. "I love you," I whisper into her hair, knowing that now is as good as a time as ever. "I'll always love you."

She lets her head fall back, away from the comfort of my chest, to peer into my eyes like she's done several times before; only this time her gaze is full of nostalgia and heartbreak. Her bottom lip quivers as I run a hand down her hair once again and let it come to a stop on the small of her back. I bring my other hand up to the nape of her neck, and bury my fingers through the hair there. She stands on her tip-toes, and wraps her arms around my neck, pressing her full lips to mine for one last kiss.

It's full of tears of sadness, and sweetness and goodness all at the same time.

"I love you, Christopher," she breathes against my lips, and when she pulls away, she takes my heart with her.

I am left with the hope that one day, she'll find her way back to me.

[ ]

So technically, this was the final chapter, but wait, there's more!

Head on over to the Epilogue to see what happens next!

I still have lots of fine-tuning and editing to do on this story, but I'm so grateful for each and every one of you that comments, votes and even just reads my updates!

Please let me know if you enjoyed #FAR by voting! Thank you so so much!

CSR: Sorry by Halsey