Chapter 2: K is for Karma

When I get to Blue Sky, I'm already ten minutes late. Snatching my bag from off the passenger seat, I hurriedly exit my car, and all but run through the parking garage and up the elevator to the ninth floor. The elevator dings, and the familiar blue and green logo comes into view on the wall in front of me as the doors open.

"Morning V," Julie, the receptionist, greets me as I step off the elevator.

I nod at her with a polite smile in response.

"Oh my god, this is something I've never seen before. Vanessa Harrison late for work?" Halle Mendez is waiting for me in the lobby as I walk swiftly to my office. My leopard print heels clack against the marble floor, and I nod towards Becca, the Account Executive, as I pass by her office.

She waves in acknowledgment, barely looking up from her computer. The marketing team is made up mostly of women, which can be a little overwhelming at times. Especially when all of our cycles sync up randomly one month.

Last year, Halle snapped a group of pencils in half after arguing with our jerk of a boss, Keenan. I have to say, it was impressive. In his defense she was being a little moody, but the real tragedy was his sly comment about PMS and how all women should just stay at home and have dinner ready by five, that pushed her over the edge.

He doesn't work here anymore.

"Yeah well, I would've been on time if this guy hadn't gotten out of his car on Ponce just to commentate on my driving skills," I reply, a little peeved. The man was nice enough, and he didn't give me any reason to think he was a jerk but there was just something about the way he handled it.

Halle follows me into my office, and I throw my purse and jacket on the coat hook next to my desk. I smooth my black, pleated silk skirt as I sit down in my swivel chair, turning my computer on and opening my company email to check for any important messages.

"What happened?" Halle probes, clearly bored with work already. I tell her quickly about the man, his nice suit and fancy car and how I almost rear-ended him in traffic this morning.

"He sounds intriguing, and hot," she says with a smirk and I gape at her.

"I'm married. I don't think anyone besides Jer is attractive."

Halle senses my lie and cackles at me.

I roll my eyes, "Okay okay, now get out so I can get to work. I'm already behind," I command as I point at the door.

"Oh you'll have to start on your work later. Did you forget?"

"Forget what?" I panic.

"The new CEO is here today for a meet and greet," she reminds me, also informing me that he is meeting us by department, and ours is first.

Ugh. Why do meetings always have to take place on Monday mornings?

That's when I notice everyone walking towards the conference room. I stand up and Halle plasters a fake smile on her face while raising her eyebrows, gesturing for me to do the same.

We dawdle our way to the conference room, a large space with a huge marble table and glass walls. There are bagels, muffins, scones and fruit arranged on the conference table in an eloquent fashion. I opt for a cup of coffee with two creams and a sugar.

Halle and I sit next to each other and chat about our weekends. Halle is the Lead Graphic Designer and my best friend. We both happened to land a job at the same company and in the same department shortly after graduating from college. Halle and I instantly clicked after meeting. Halle was the rebel. I was the responsible one. She flaunted purple hair and I rocked my natural color. She wore crop tops and boyfriend jeans with fishnet tights, and I took the more casual blouse and denim approach. After graduation, we swore we would always remain friends no matter what happened in life. That same year I met Jeremiah, and a year later we were married. Three years after that, here I am with my first child. Halle took the independent route, finding herself as she traveled any chance she got and throwing herself into different romances.

Sometimes I catch myself wishing I had done the same...

"Here he comes!" some of the other women giggle to each other.

"Fuck he's hot," one says. I don't turn around, but hear the door open as he walks in.

"Ladies," comes a deep, smooth voice and immediately the hairs on my skin stand up. I steal a glance at our new CEO.

It's the man I almost ran into this morning.