Chapter 27: Time to Spruce Things Up

I've always hated formal occasions.

Working in the corporate world has its upsides and downsides. This just so happens to be one of the downsides.

Blue Sky has been decorated for the holidays since December 1st. The older ladies in Accounting saw to that. Normally, I'd have told them to hold off on the decorations until later in the month, but they looked so delighted as they strung up the lights, and decorated the Christmas tree, that I just couldn't bring myself to crush their spirits.

Three weeks later, and the office now contains even more holiday ornamentations than what'd been put up during our normal work hours.

I look above my head; multiple twinkling lights have been looped around the ceiling beams, creating the illusion of a starry night. In the middle of the large lobby hangs an icicle chandelier, each gleaming, glass pendent seeming to drip towards the ground like rain on a cold day. And in the back on the stage, in front of the massive window that overlooks the city, sits the Christmas tree.

Though not lit yet, it is the most elegant sight in the room. It stands at about sixteen feet high; the white poinsettias lay comfortably within the branches, and the crystal ornaments shimmer beneath the ceiling lights.

The ladies in Accounting really did an outstanding job.

A waiter walks up to me with champagne flutes, and I grab one from off his tray, nodding my head toward him in an appreciative gesture.

The office is filled with employees and their families, all dressed to the nines in tuxedos and gowns, chattering and laughing with one another as the string quartet plays holiday music in the background.

Someone thumps their hand down on my shoulder, and I turn around to a familiar face.

"You clean up pretty nice."

"Hey man!" I say to Aaron, and we greet each other with a handshake and a pat on the back. "How've you been? I feel like you've been hiding out!"

"Well, I've got to keep him out of trouble somehow," Halle justifies, her long legs striding gracefully toward us as she holds two glasses of champagne in hand.

She looks gorgeous. Her brown hair is pulled into a bun except for two wavy pieces that are left out, framing her face. Her floor-length gown is golden, and it shimmers in the light with each step that she takes.

"Halle," I address her with a nod. "You look radiant."

She smiles at me upon approaching, and hands one of the glasses to Aaron.

"Save your compliments for Vanessa. Just wait 'til you see her," she retorts, taking a sip of her champagne.

My pulse quickens, and my eyes dart around the office, but I can't find her familiar face in the growing crowd.

"She's here? I thought she wasn't coming..." I start to become a little nervous, and Halle and Aaron exchange a look.

"You okay, Chris?" Aaron asks, his eyebrows knitting together.

"Babe, why don't you go to the bar and grab us a real drink," Halle inserts.

Aaron kisses her on the cheek, and then makes his way through the multitude of people.