✧ cнapтer 1 ✧

To say that I had butterflies fluttering violently inside of me was a complete understatement. The feeling may not have been mutual, but it was still a numbing pain that hurt like hell. My throat constricted as if a cobra had itself wrapped tightly around my neck. The butterflies had evolved from gentle creatures to violent and angry bees as the academy neared. I was mortified at how big the school was and I immediately knew that I was going to pass out in the passenger seat.

It was a giant school in general. Row after row of lockers surrounded me on both sides, giving me an immediate claustrophobic feeling. In general the hallway was empty, seeing as classes had started a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, that also meant that my aunt had to drop me off late and leave me to fend for myself while she went to go drop my baby brothers off at daycare. A few students that were probably skipping class gave me strange looks I couldn't decipher. Nevertheless, it was probably about who the hell I was or why the hell did my hair look like a bird's nest.

Once I actually found the office, it was the first door on the left filled with parents, I walked in to find a lady ready to greet me. I already had an immediate hatred towards her. Her black and red weave was pulled back into a high ponytail, fake nails typing away frantically at the keyboard in front of her, and her gum popping like a gun in the night. She eyed me for a quick second as a smile graced her dark red lips.

"Hi there sweetie," her thick Southern accent coated every word she said. "What do you need?"

For you to take some fashion advice, obviously. Gripping the material of the fingerless glove on my hand tightly, I didn't reply back with the smart remark, but rather with what I actually needed. I couldn't afford to get suspended on the first day of school. I would never hear the end of it from Aunt Brenda.

"I'm the new student and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do nor where I'm supposed to go."

The woman's smile only seemed to grow at the words 'new student', clearly showing off one golden tooth. She got up from the swivel chair beneath her and picked up a small pack of papers on the desk. Her gaze remained on the papers as she proceeded to ask more questions like my name, grade and if I was a returning student, which basically contradicted the previous statement I told her. Once she found the piece of paper that she was looking for she handed it to me, along with a stack of textbooks, a few pamphlets, and a room key.

"The smallest pamphlet is the handbook," she pointed to a small book bound by staples. "It will give you all of the campus rules, curfew, and phone numbers to reach campus security along with the office. If you need any help, just call one of them or ask your roommate if you need help."

Hang on. I'm sharing a room with someone?

Her laughter broke the silence as she could probably tell what I was thinking from the shocked expression on my face. The secretary, whose name I just realized was Andrea, scratched a spot on her head as she shook her head in disbelief.

"You must have never had a roommate before sweetie." She patted my head with the same hand she flicked a piece of dandruff off of and I visible shuddered. "Don't worry too much. Blake can be a bit...demanding...but you'll get use to him eventually! Now go on ahead and get to your dorm room. The majority of the students are off for the day so you can have a look around the campus if you'd like."

I didn't want to stay any longer than needed. With a simple nod of my head and a quiet 'Thank You.', I walked out of the office and began my journey to the dorm rooms across the campus. It had finally stopped snowing, thankfully, but Dicky and Nicky were playing with my gloves while I was in the car and I forgot to take them back, meaning that I would have cold fingers on the way to my dorm. My mood soured even further when I realized that the dorms were on the other side of busy traffic that looked as if it wasn't going to move any time soon.