Chapter Twenty Four

Start from the beginning

"You know, thinking about letting me mark you just because you're sexually frustrated isn't a good idea," I whisper, the laughter and amusement seeping through my tone as I watch the deep and thoughtful look on his face. His brow scrunched up and lips firmly together, he really is a beautiful man.

"I'm sorry," he whispers down to me and I had to blink a few times. It was so low I barely caught it, barely heard him. Was this Slater? Had I heard that correctly? He's apologising? I was gaping at him, eyes wide and mouth ajar. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. His eyes remain screwed shut like he couldn't bear to look at me.

"What for?" I whisper, stroking my fingertips across his cheeks, I couldn't pull my eyes away from him. I wanted so badly to make love to this man. I wanted so badly to mark him and make him mine. He was being soft with me, and god was that more attractive than anything he could have ever given me.

"Everything," he whispers. It was instinctive to place my lips to his. I wasn't sure if I was saying thank you or trying to comfort him. Perhaps both. It was a brief, short, and loving kiss but it was filled with so much meaning.

Patience was a virtue. Rather than having a resentful mate who felt forced to make a decision, I have a mate who was slowly coming to terms with his sexuality and the way he felt about me. Slowly removing the walls he'd built up and was letting me in. I wasn't expecting smooth sailing from here, but it was a step in the right direction. Deep down, I knew, in the long run, slow and steady was going to be more important than getting my way here and now.

I understood his apology. He was apologising for the way he gets angry, his bad temperament, and rageful behaviour. For the unnecessary shouting, spiteful words, and harsh responses. For avoiding me for the past few weeks, refusing to let me in, and neglecting my desire to mark him. He didn't have to say it, his simple apology told me everything I needed to know, and I'm ok with that.

He sighs and pulls away from me, his eyes open but avoiding my gaze as he lies down in the bed next to me. He turns his back towards me, not wanting my heavy gaze on his face any longer. I traced my hand down his back, letting my fingers caress every divot in his skin. I place a single kiss between his shoulder blades before turning over and resting my head against the pillow.

See, this was the thing. I didn't care so much about him keeping face. What I don't want is for him to act as though I don't exist. I'm fine with him just acting as though we're friends, but pretending I'm not there wasn't going to cut it, not in the long term. I can manage it if he just wants to be friends when we're around other people because I prefer that as well. I don't want him all over me, kissing me and holding my hand, even by my standards that's awkward and weird. But inside these four walls, when we're in private and we're alone, I want him to just be Slater. Not a King or an Alpha, just my mate.

~

I woke to an empty bed. I fucking hate it. It builds this stress and anxiety inside me when I wake up and expect him to be there but he isn't. It gets stronger the more I sleep next to him. It's getting stronger the more times I wake up alone. It always set my morning off in a bad mood. I crave affection in the mornings. Just a cuddle or a gentle kiss.

I showered and dressed before walking towards Slater's office, determined to have my moment of affection before I started my day. As I walk towards the cracked open door, those familiar images and feelings of what I say the last time I was here. Her moans and the sound of slapping skin, it made me nauseous. As I get closer, my fear subsided as their voices flood the empty halls, not a guard in sight. "How could you not tell me you had a mate. We've grown up together, been friends since we were babies!" His Beta, he was hurt.

"Because it was none of your business Alexander," Slater bit back, clearly not wanting to talk about it.

"Don't Alexander me. Do you think I care that your mate is a man?" He couldn't understand why his best friend of so many years hadn't been honest with him. About his sexuality or his recent acquisition of a mate.