• Verity Queen •

Picture from cover: Ladybug

Chloé was sitting on her bed, hugging her knees to her chest as she watched the news of the new akuma. Her hair was a mess and her clothes were wrinkled, but for once she didn't seem to care. As she watched Ladybug fight, she thought to herself the same thing she'd been thinking for the past week.

She couldn't lie to herself. She had to be truthful. This wasn't what she wanted. She wanted to love Ladybug, the person that saved her life. Being Queen Bee was the best thing that ever happened to her, and fighting alongside Ladybug? Wow, if only she could still have that. But then she had to lose her temper and go full villain on her idol, working with Hawk Moth willingly! What was she thinking? She was ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous.

Her love for Ladybug was undeniable. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't bring herself to hate her. Maybe it's cause Ladybug saved her day after day, or maybe it was because she was the first person she'd ever opened up to. Whatever it was, she knew that deep inside, she still loved the superheroine. But now, because of her stupid actions, her idol hates her.

This is what regret feels like, isn't it?

There was a knock at the door.
"Would Mademoiselle like some lunch? It's her favorite: sushi!" The Burgeois' butler stood outside Chloé's door patiently, holding a tray of assorted sushis.

Chloé cleared her throat. "No, it's okay, Jean," she replied quietly. "Please just go away, I'll come eat whenever."

After a second she heard the sound of Butler Jean's retreating footsteps. "Thanks," she whispered.
Chloé looked back up at the screen.

Verity Queen was floating in the air above the balcony on top of Marinette's room, shooting green beams of light at Ladybug, who spun her yo-yo in a circle so it created a sort of shield, blocking all the attacks.

Chloé scoffed at the screen. "I hope Cat Noir cataclysms Dupain-Cheng and her dumb bakery."

Verity Queen zipped through the air, trying to hit Ladybug from all different angles, and eventually she succeeded. A green ball of light evaporated into the red heroine's suit on contact, and a teardrop symbol appeared under her right eye.

"No!" Ladybug's voice came loud and clear through the camera, broadcasted to the whole world on live television.

Verity Queen cackled. "Who are you?" she asked, victory shining in her eyes.

Ladybug tried to resist, but couldn't as the teardrop on her cheek started to burn into her skin. The words slipped out of her mouth. "I am—"

Verity Queen grinned in anticipation.

Ladybug winced as she tried to keep her mouth shut unsuccessfully. "I am MmmMmMMm—"
Suddenly she had an idea. "I am Ladybug!" she shouted. It wasn't a lie, she was asked who she was and she was Ladybug.
The teardrop on her cheek disappeared as fast as the smile on Verity Queen's face.

"Hey, that's- that's not—" she complained.

"You must be more specific," Hawk Moth growled through the telepathic connection. "Ask her for her secret identity!"

"Cat Noir! What took you so long?" Ladybug greeted her partner who had just leapt onto the small balcony.

Cat shrugged. "I got distracted with a ball of yarn, forgive me milady," he joked, taking a bow.

Ladybug jumped onto the small table in front of the black cat, knocking over the teapot and teacups on it, spinning her yo-yo quickly as a shield. Darts of green from the villain struck it.