Chapter Three - Teenagers are the Worst

He felt weak, worn out. What had happened?

"Hey, you okay?"

The last thing he could remember was fighting, then they all fell through those portals after Ink disappeared.

"Dude wake up."

That wasn't a normal portal though, was it. Sure the first time he had gone through one of Ink's portals he had been queasy. But not completely jetlagged.

"Hello?"

And where had all the others gone, was he here alone.

"For fucks sakes Cross. Wake Up!"

Cross's eyes flew open, and he shot up, finally aware of his surroundings. The crisp morning air, the gentle breeze, the grass between his fingers, the endless blue sky. Sky? He wasn't underground anymore? It looked, amazing. Outertale had always been beautiful but seeing the actual blue sky, was breathtaking.

"If you're done gawking."

Cross grunted at the all too familiar voice that bounced around his skull. "Hello to you too Chara." The phantom wore a cheeky smile. Cross rolled his eyes, annoyed at the kids' presence. He decided to ignore them. It was then that Cross noticed Horror not too far away from him. He didn't seem to be in the same state Cross had been in. No, Horror was, sleeping? "Unbelievable" Cross sighed. Pushing himself to his feet, he walked over to his comrade. And kicked him in the ribs.

The cannibal grunted in pain, his arms clutching his now bruised rubs. "What the fuck Cross?" Horror complained, giving Cross a hostile glare.

"We how else was I supposed to wake you up?" Cross stated blatantly. Leaning on a red knife he had summoned, looking down at the monster in front of him.

"Like a normal monster." Horror grunted as he pushed himself to his feet, "you could've shaken my shoulder a little. I'm not that heavy of a sleeper."

Cross laughed, "and get my head cut off. No thanks." He recalled the first time he had been asked to wake up the disfigured monster in front of him after he had first joined Nightmare's little clique. Scared the shit out of him when the monster jumped from his sleeping spot and pressed his axe against his neck. But the others had thought it amusing to almost get the lone survivor decapitated by the cannibal. Apparently in Horrortale, you have to sleep with one eye open. Unless you want to be eaten. He wasn't going to let that happen again.

"Uhh, Cross." The cannibal tapped Cross on the shoulder. Cross responded with a 'what' look. "Where are we?" Cross still hadn't put that together either, all he knew was that they had been sent through one of those portals. Now that he had thought about it, those portals looked a lot like Ink's.

Of course, he gets us into another mess. That all he seems to be good at.

"I don't know," he replied truthfully. Unknowingly rubbing his thumb over the golden locket resting over his chest. He wasn't the best at navigating universes. Having spent most of his time in a white void by himself. Not that he couldn't call Chara company, he never liked talking to the phantom that infested his soul. Hell, he hadn't even learned about the different universes until he had met Ink. That bastard.

"Well then, I guess we're screwed until Nightmare finds us." Horror acknowledged. "Or we could find him, but I'm feeling lazy."

"You're helpless" Cross assured.

Horror smiled, showing off his teeth like a feral dog. Cross shook his head but took the silence as a chance to study more of their surroundings. They seemed to be in a field of some sort, and a yard away from them at a large building. And several young monsters and humans standing around each other. It was a school. None of the students spared a glance at the two of them. He got a bad feeling in his chest.