22: To Wander Alone

Start from the beginning

Blaire agreed. "Insanity if I've ever heard of it."

"Stop talking about me like I'm not right here!"

"There is no need to raise your voice," Adelia declared. "What is done is done. However, this does warrant an apology."

Maren nearly caught on fire hearing that. "I don't owe you anything!"

The other women started standing.

"I would love to do anything else but this," Jeanette spat. She grabbed Celeste's hand and hoisted her up as well. The two of them left, muttering something under their breath as they passed Maren.

Blaire was next. "Laurel, would you like to come play chess with me?"

"I think that'd be nice," Laurel responded, not quite looking anyone in the eye. "I am not a friend of conflict." To Lyra, she said, "Would you like to play more of the harpsichord? You are so lovely with it, and a song will surely help you feel better."

Lyra nodded. Though she didn't need the assistance, Adelia helped her stand, keeping a maternal arm around her back.

"Lyra. This is much larger than you and I. I need to know something," Maren pleaded as she approached. But Lyra continued to look straight ahead, her eyes red and her cheeks swollen.

Adelia paused at Maren's side with Lyra in tow. "Think about what you've done, Maren. I understand it is hard to respond when emotions are high, but please put yourself in someone else's shoes." With that, she left with Laurel and Lyra.

Then, there was only Genevieve slowly rearranging the pillow spread.

Maren marched to her. "Tell me. How did you know?"

Genevieve coughed again, the sound rumbling from deep in her lungs. Her hoarse voice remained poised and serious even if she was sick.

"If you cannot tell, I have formed a deep attachment to everything in this palace. From the different rooms, to the amenities, to the fae within. It matters to me. So, when the servants talk, I listen. I can't help but overhear something as subtle as 'she only just left the Dauphin's room'."

"And that is your business to share?" Maren seethed.

Genevieve fished a handkerchief from her bodice. "It is a competition, Maren. We must do whatever we can to stay in this palace." When she dabbed at her nostrils, Maren spotted blood on the fabric before Genevieve swiftly bundled it up. "You happened to gift me with a big enough secret to knock some of these ladies off their game."

"You're really trying to win."

"Apparently, you are my greatest opponent. The others I can overcome, but you..." Genevieve grinned, walking with her hands entangled before her lap. She waltzed to Maren's side, the image of a woman preparing for battle. "I will overcome you as well."

Genevieve giggled as she left, her emerald dress accentuating her red ringlets until they, too, resembled flames.

Maren remained standing, her temper building in her chest like a storm cloud; charged with electricity, ready to strike the ground.

"Maren." Jimin came into the drawing room, his eyes darkening as Maren's enraged expression fell upon him. He dropped to one knee, his head bowing.

"If you think I was responsible for last night, then say the word and I will return to Elegia."

His statement knocked her storm off-kilter.

"What?"

He remained bowed. "I did not cast such an enchantment. I understand that the Dark Arts are part of my lifeblood, but I am blameless."