{Chapter Fifteen} Hyria

LIZZIE'S POV

The cottage didn't look like much, but it had stood for thousands of years, alongside the rapidly aging witch inside. As much as it pained her, Lizzie knew that Hyria would pass on soon. Aside from Willow and Jasper, Hyria was the only living person who had been around for everything. A life of immortality was a lonely one, something that the witch had taught her. 

"Out of curiosity, how old is your friend?" Aphmau inquired as they approached the steps. 

"Uh, at least as old as me." Lizzie replied casually.

"What? They're a divine?"

"No, she's a witch. A very powerful one." 

"That's... that's possible?"

"Depends on who you're friends with." Lizzie smirked. 

"So, you, what, made her immortal?"

"My sister, not me."

"Irene knew her?" Aphmau asked, seeming more subdued.

"Yes. They were very close. Hyria was the only one she told when she wiped her memories and returned to her dimension."

"Uh, what?"

"You need to read up on your history, Aphmau."

"That's not what most people regard as history. I found your history in a book of myths and legends."

"See? History." 

"I don't think that's-"

Before Aphmau could finish her sentence, the door swung open, revealing a frail-looking Hyria. She still let off an undeniable aura of power, however. 

"Hyria." Lizzie smiled.

"Lizbeth." 

She bit back a flinch when she heard her real name, but didn't let it show. Luckily, Hyria's eyes quickly settled on Aphmau, a look of surprise flitting over her face.

"This is Aphmau." Lizzie introduced, "She's-"

"Irene's reincarnation." Hyria finished, "It's not the first time."

"Huh?" Aphmau muttered, looking slightly bewildered.

"I thought you'd be used to weird stuff by now." 

"Nope, still adjusting." 

"We need some spells from one of your grimoires." Lizzie said, derailing the conversation.

"Well, I think it's best you come in now."

Hyria stood aside, waving them in. Lizzie slipped past first, relishing in the familiarity of Hyria's cottage. Aphmau followed more hesitantly. It was at moments like this that Lizzie was reminded that while this was all normal to her, this wasn't something that Aphmau had ever thought she'd have to do this.

Lizzie knew that the black-haired girl had probably had a plan for her life.  A plan that almost certainly didn't involve magic, banishments, reincarnations and divine beings. 

Lizzie was stopped from going any further by way of a firm grip on her wrist. 

"You have quite the collection of spells yourself, Lizbeth, what do you need me for?" Hyria asked in a low voice.

"I don't have the spells I need." She replied. 

"Which are?"

Lizzie glanced over her shoulder at Aphmau, who was examining the magical fireplace with interest, and then back at Hyria.

"I have the spells for apparition reincarnation, but I need spells capable of searing a powerful spirit from a body, and trapping it elsewhere."

"How powerful are we talking?"

"Like Demon-Warlock-esque powerful."

"Lizbeth."

"Yes?"

"Are we talking about the Demon Warlock?"

"Perhaps."

Hyria opened her mouth to say something - probably scathing - but Lizzie bet her to it. 

"You trust me, right? I'm powerful enough to do the spells, and deal with the consequences."

"I know that. But the spells require the use of ancient, dark artifacts that have been lost to time."

"I knew that, and I have that covered." Lizzie answered cryptically, the ghost of a smile on her face. 

"Willow and Jasper." Hyria said. 

It wasn't phrased as a question, but Lizzie nodded anyway. 

"You must have been planning on doing this for a long time, if you've been able to track them down." 

"Quite a while, yes." Lizzie agreed, "Anything to rid this realm of the scourge that is him."

"I supposed I can't argue with that," Hyria conceded, "But be careful."

"Aren't I always?"

Hyria cracked a smile at that, before moving in the direction of her library. 

"Oh, and Lizbeth?"

"Yes?" 

Hyria eyed her with a gaze quite reminiscent of her younger self. 

"If anything goes wrong, just know I will hold you personally accountable."