EIGHT

hope is not the goal

I roll my eyes. "All I'm saying is that we are much, much more efficient on our own."

"We aren't leaving, Lena." Landon scolds. I lean against the wall, sipping my coffee. "This is a place we can be safe, and we can keep Raf safe. So let's just go to the meeting, okay?"

I sigh, reluctantly following him.

"Given our recent influx of monsters,Sheriff Donovan and I have decided we need to take drastic action. Please give him your full attention."

Sheriff Matt Donovan stands in front of the school. "Like Dr. Saltzman was saying, local girls Dana Lilien and Sasha Stoteraux didn't come home last night. Dana sometimes skips town for a few days to party, but this is a first for Sasha." He explains, stepping form the podium.

"Thank you, Sheriff Donovan. Now while the knife is away with Dorian and things are quiet on his end, it won't hurt to assume the worst. If Dana and Sasha..."

"Dana was a bitch, but she definitely didn't deserve whatever happened." I mumble to my brother.

Landon looks over at me in confusion. "Weren't you like, friends with her for the first two years we were at that school?"

I shrug. "Yeah, and then your face went into a toilet and I shoved her boyfriends face in my knee." I retort, remembering the incident. "Once a bitch, always a bitch."

"Now, I'll need a few of you to volunteer to go to Mystic Falls High under the guise of an exchange program meant to improve relations between our schools, which, unfortunately, is necessary, given recent events." Dr. Saltzman says. "Now, I give you permission to compel them, to gather materials form locator spells, because any information we can get will make all the difference."

Lizzie Saltzman, one of the twins, stands up. "Well, I guess that I can set aside my differences with Dana for a day, because that is what heroes do." Alaric sighs at his daughters statement. "So... I volunteer as tribute."

Suddenly, a boy from the vampire area stands up. "I'm in."

MG, who sits next to him stands up as well. "I'm in too."

Then, the all mighty Hope Mikaelson rises onto her feet. "I'd like to help."

Not surprisingly, Landon and I were dragged long for this Dana hunt. Along with Lizzie, Hope, and the two vamps, MG and Kaleb.