Book 3: Secrets Are Broken | Chapter 27

Start from the beginning

Once everything was back in order, I put the copied journal and notebook with my notes on my desk and then headed out of the bedroom to go eat dinner with my boyfriend. I would probably make copies of my notes just in case those got stolen by my father. It was probably a good idea to put a digital copy on my computer as well just in case I wanted to refer back to what I had already taken note of and just to have a copy on there as well.

When I got into dining room, I saw that Ben was already sitting down at the table, but he hadn't started eating yet. We usually waited for the other before starting to eat. Sometimes the only time we could have a conversation was when we were sitting down to eat so neither of us started eating until the other got there.

It meant that we could actually have a conversation with each other especially if it was going to be our first one of the day. Neither of us wanted to get into the rut of not having conversations with each other and then end up ruining our relationship because of it.

"So, how's it going so far?" Ben asked me as I served myself. He waited until I had finished serving myself before taking the first bite of the food that he had made. It was just a simple dish of chicken and rice.

"I've got all the symbols, now I just need to figure out which letters they represent. That's probably going to take some time though," I replied as I cut up my chicken.

"You'll figure it out eventually babe. Just take breaks alright?" he said smiling at me. I nodded my head and then took a bite of the small piece of chicken that I had cut up.

"So, are we searching for Ryan again tomorrow?" Ben asked when I didn't say anything.

"Yeah, Hayden's supposed to send me the addresses and time tomorrow morning," I replied. Ben nodded his head and then said, "We should probably go to bed early tonight."

"I agree. I'm tired after the long day we had today," I said.

We had searched many buildings throughout the day even though we hadn't found one single clue. I still believed my father left town with Ryan and that he wasn't hiding any place in town, but it was better to search every place just in case there was a clue or I was wrong about my father immediately leaving town. It wasn't on the news that we were searching for my father and Ryan in empty houses and buildings because the police didn't want to alert my father that we were searching through the town for him just in case he was actually still in town.

But it was on the news that we, Ryan's family and friends, and volunteers along with police were searching in surrounding areas outside of the town for Ryan and my father. That was actually true since there were people searching outside of the town for Ryan and my father, but that was mostly just volunteers and police searching. Eventually we would join that search once all the empty houses and buildings had been searched in town.

"You still believe your father left town with Ryan, don't you?" Ben asked me after taking a bite of rice and chewing it up. I nodded my head and then said, "Yeah, but it doesn't hurt to search in town just in case I'm wrong. If he is still in town, then it'll be a relief to know that it'll be hard for him to get out of town because the police are watching every exit they can. There's a good chance he'll be caught if he's still here."

"That's true, but don't get your hopes too high babe. You believe your father left town with Ryan for a reason because he's smart and he knows that he can't stay here," Ben replied. I nodded my head again and then said, "Yeah, can we talk about something else?"

"Of course, what do you want to talk about?" he asked me.

"When do you work this week?" I asked. He was quiet for a few minutes as he tried to remember what days he worked this week. We both had been taking the weekends off while we were searching for Ryan, so we had been working more days during the week along with going to school and doing our homework.