Stay Alive Part 17

Start from the beginning

"Be still," one of the healers says and starts scanning her body for ailments.

"This is not of Earth. What is it?" Thor asks one of the healers.

"We do not know," She admits. "But she will not survive the amount of energy surging within her." I'm filled with concern for the person I wish to be friends with.

"That's a quantum field generator, isn't it?" Jane asks breathlessly amazed at our tech.

"It's a soul forge," The healer performing the exam explains.

"Does a soul forge transfer molecular energy from one place to another?" Jane asks as if she already knows the answer, surprising the healer.

I smile at her genius and the healer is shocked and answers hesitantly "Yes."

"Quantum field generator," she whispers to Thor causing him a smile of such happiness that I can't help but smile along with their happiness.

"My words are mere noises to you that you ignore them completely?" Odin asks Thor as he comes into the room.

"She is ill," Thor tries to explain.

"She is mortal," Odin says waving away the "quantum field generator" he continues saying "Illness is their defining trait.

"I brought her here because we can help her," Thor reasons.

"She does not belong here in Asgard any more than a goat belong as a banquet table."

"Did he just? Who do you think you are?" Jane asks haughtily.

"I am Odin, king of Asgard, protector of the nine realms."

"Oh... well I'm-"

"I know very well who you are, Jane Foster." Odin interrupts.

"All father, if I may, someone not being from Asgard has never stopped you from letting you stay here before," I say reminding him of Loki... and of me.

"A mistake I regret," Odin says angrily.

I finally tilt my head up and look him in the eyes "I'm glad to see how you truly view us," I say trying to bite back my rage.

He looks at me regretful that he said that but too proud to say it and leaves the room "You told your dad about me?" Jane asks Thor happily.

"Something is within her, Father." I can't help but smile thinking of a dirty joke at this and Thor continues talking "Something I have never seen before."

"Her world has its healers. They are called 'doctors'. Let them deal with it. Guards take her back to Midgard," At Odin's command they start towards Jane.

"No I would not-!" Thor says and the guard take her arms. A red shockwave comes from her and the guard fall to the ground, she also falls back onto the table that she's on. "Touch her." Thor finishes and rushes to Jane's side. "Jane are you alright?" he asks cradling her head. She whisper that she is, indeed, alright.

Odin comes over and runs his hand over her arm revealing a red glow coming from her veins "It's impossible," he whispers.

"The infection... it's defending her." The healer comments confusedly.

"No, it's defending itself," Thor corrects.

"Either way shouldn't we be looking into getting it out of her?" I ask.

"Come with me," Odin commands and takes us to a room I was never permitted to be in before. "There are relics that pre-date the universe itself," He starts and I can't help but think of Loki thinking of himself as "another stolen relic" and a shiver of pain goes through me. "What lies within her appears to be one of them. The nine realms are not eternal." I'm in awe of the illusion of the Tree of Yggdrasil, the tree that connects all of the realms. "They had a dawn as they will have a dusk."

Odin opens a book and continue talking "But before that dawn, that dark forces, the Dark Elves, reigned absolute and unchallenged," I know my king has a point, but it's very hard to be patient enough for him to finally get to it.

"Born of eternal night the Dark Elves come to steal away the light," Thor reads. "I know these stories. Mother told them to us as children" I smile at this memory and wish we could go back to such happier days.

"Their leader Malekith made a weapon out of that darkness and it was called the Aether. While the other relics often appear as stones, the Aether is fluid and everrchanging. It changes matter into dark matter. It seeks out host bodies, drawing strength from their life-force," Odin continues his story.

"That's what is in Jane," I say looking at her arm where I say the glowing red just moments earlier.

"Malekith sought to use the Aether's power to return the universe to one of darkness. But after eternities of bloodshed my father, Bor, finally triumphed ushering in a peace that lasted thousands of years."

"What happened?" Jane ask, to innocent to realize just what horrible things we have all seen.

"He killed them all," Odin says and I casts my eyes shamefully to the ground, we always speak of peace but we seem to always go through war to achieve it.

"Are you certain?" Thor asks. "The Aether was said to have been destroyed with them, and yet here it is."

"The Dark Elves are dead," Odin says sounding slightly annoyed that Thor questioned him.

"Does your book happen to mention how to get it out of me?" Jane asks concerned.

"No, it does not," Odin says and closes the book and leaves us. I take my leave soon after and wonder around reacquainting myself with the castle as I think about everything that just happened.

I think about Thor and Jane especially, I find the way they're completely enraptured with each other sweet. However I can't help but doubt being together is a good idea on their part. Asgardians will love for thousands of years, but Jane, humans as a whole are lucky if they live until they're one hundred. Her death will cause a heart break that Thor has never known. But then again who am I to judge if it's a good idea or not. I did, after all, fall in love with a slightly psychotic friend.