Micrurus.

Chapter 10. Micrurus - Nowhere

Edited January 2024

After he finished cleaning the floor - something he did whilst mentally cursing her all the time - Tom curiously looked around, trying to figure out where he was and to see what Granger had. The first thing he did was look at the books about magic. He realised she wasn't obsessed with just one discipline, in other words, her interests were wide and varied, there were several types of books about diverse and arcane subjects as well as assorted spells and potions. Intriguing.

Frankly, Granger has a vast knowledge range. He admits to himself grudgingly. But what surprised him most was that she read very advanced magic, far ahead of Hogwarts' fifth and sixth years. Well, he can't judge her for that, given the fact when he was in the second year, he had already read and practiced the magic of the sixth and seventh years, but this behavior is not common. But then, what is normal when it comes to Granger?

He looks at a slightly misplaced book as if recently placed on the shelf. Magic and Time, he reads, but doesn't touch.

Tom peruses, walking his long, pale fingers on a smooth path across the table to where the cauldron and potion pots were. He makes a mental note, looking with interest at everything visible, yet he doesn't touch anything. Granger seems too organised to not notice if something was out of place.

He goes into the small room with a two-seater sofa, a shag rug with a coffee table and an armchair. He doesn't have to step far into the kitchen, there is also a small dining table. This entire setup all seems very lonely to him, so he asks himself a question: Where are Granger's parents?

Tom has decided, he needs some answers and he will get them from Granger. He looks to the right where daylight enters and finally decides to go out and talk to Granger. The first thing he does when he leaves the tent is to stumble. And guess what? This is not common for him. Tom Riddle always had impeccable posture and balance, however, he wasn't prepared to step onto soft sand. Tom quickly steaded his composure, now looking back and forth, not expecting to see the beach landscape. He looks left and then right, noting the length of the beach and the foliage that indicated he was far from civilisation. Or at least, far from industrial civilisation.

His eyes finally fall on the small figure sitting on the flatter sand, facing the sea, watching the sun. Granger. He walks over to her.

Hermione had to distance herself from Riddle's presence in an attempt to get her thoughts in order. She didn't know how she should act since she had rescued Riddle and brought him to the safety of the island, to her refuge. It's one thing to be in his presence whilst he was still unconscious, but now he is lucid and awake. Hermione knows she won't escape Riddle's questions, he is very observant, she just needs to maintain the same line of reasoning and keep a safe distance with the 'walls of protection' erected forcefully against him.

"Where are we?"

Speak of the devil, she thought.

Riddle had stopped right beside her, she looked to her right, expecting to find his face, but all she saw was his pelvis, his hips and his legs. She blushed at the sight and his closeness, Hermione looked up to find Riddle staring at her from above, his hands in his trouser pockets. She blinked a few times.

"Where are we?" He repeated.

Tom looked at her, watching the way she sat, hugging her legs and the wand in one hand. Her cheeks were rosier than he remembered and he looked toward the sea and the sun she was staring at. Here is the reason. Now things were making more sense.