Azemiops.

This is the new chapter. It has not yet gone through beta and second reading. I apologize in advance for any errors in the text and for the delay in uploading the chapter.

______

Chapter 17. Azemiops Feae - Love and Sorrow

Harry, which piece were we in chess?

Dear Harry, you are probably finding it strange to have to answer this question. Well, I enchanted the letter with a question that only we would know, it is a security question, where the letter will only open to reveal its contents if the answer is correct.

It is very difficult to explain what happened, but I ask, first of all, that you take it easy.

One primary piece of information you should have is that it is the year 1943. It sounds impossible, I know, but it is the truth. During the battle at Hogwarts, we were transported back in time by a Time Turner that is quite 'special'. It is of such urgency that you do not reveal your real name, the name that people recognize you by is Harry Evans. I'm sure you wouldn't mind having your mother's last name for the moment. You are at St. Mungo's. Keep all the information to yourself, Harry. All that's been said is that we were attacked by one of Grindelwald's followers and that you got hurt. Can you imagine? I will explain everything to you. Dumbledore is covering for us, he more or less knows the truth. I'll be waiting for you anxiously at Hogwarts.

From your best friend,

Hermione.

This was the sixth letter Hermione had written, all the others didn't seem very good, but this one was reasonably well written and explanatory, within all the events. After all, how do you write to your best friend that you have travelled back in time? It was complicated and at the very least, Harry would have doubts about the veracity of the events described. She couldn't blame him, if she were in his place, waking up in a St.Mungo's bed, she would also doubt everything and everyone. And let's face it, Harry had become a suspicious person, and unfortunately, with good reason.

Being true to herself, this is the best-case scenario of what could happen. The worst, for all she knows, is that Harry might wake up with no memory of what happened, of who she is or who he is, and then, she would be sure that they are screwed.

Hermione banged her forehead lightly against the wood of the table, praying that the universe wouldn't be so cruel. That would be unfair. Haven't we been through enough already?

She hopes to be there for Harry when he wakes up, like a friend, like a sister. Someone he would recognize and know he is safe.

Hermione stood up from the table, placing the quill pen in the inkwell. The women's Gryffindor uniform was impeccable, she felt the cool metal of the locket against the skin of her neck, her hair in a braid.

Calmly, she was making her way to the Owlery, one of the highest towers at Hogwarts. It was there that she would meet Riddle - Tom.

What had gotten into her? Calling him 'Tom'? Hermione's mind went over all the events. Merlin, that's a lot. She couldn't resist, it felt right, she had seen too much of him, knew too much about him to be so cold to him. He had saved her, how could she? It seemed to have been genuine, even if her interactions with him were awkward and strained in a way she couldn't explain.