Herbology and Wolfsbane: Chapter 5.1

Neville was walking back to the castle when he heard his name being called. He turned around and was shocked to see none other than Blaise Zabini jogging after him.

"Hey, Longbottom," Blaise said as he slowed down and came to a stop a few feet in front of Neville.

"Uh, hi Zabini," Neville replied. Blaise had changed since the war, well everyone had for that matter, but Blaise had definitely changed for the better. Although Neville still didn't really consider them to be friends. Not that he minded Blaise calling out to him in the slightest though, as Blaise's voice was something Neville didn't mind hearing so much and that had nothing to do with the faint blush that spread over his cheeks. Nothing at all.

"Hi, um I was having trouble again in herbology lately and was hoping you could help me?" That was another thing that had changed: Blaise had been coming to Neville for help more and more often. At first, it confused Neville as Blaise really hadn't gone out of his way to talk to him before, but soon Neville started to feel a bit of pride in the fact that Blaise was going to him for help. It showed that Blaise thought he was competent enough in the subject that he was willing to ask him for help, and since Neville wasn't much good in any other subject he greatly appreciated it.

"Yeah, of course, what's the problem?"

"Well, the bubotuber I'm supposed to be taking care of doesn't really look like it's doing too good. I was wondering if you could take a look at it, and tell me what I'm doing wrong?"

"Sure, I was just going to walk these up to professor McGonagall's office, you're welcome to come with and then after we can go check on your bubotuber," Neville gestured to the vials of Wolfsbane in his hands. Neville had started working with Professor Sprout to grow and collect potions ingredients - especially wolfsbane - that they would then donate to St. Mungos. After the war, the supply of potion ingredients ran thin and with the growth of the werewolf population, wolfsbane was in extremely high demand.

"Okay," Blaise said, turning to follow Neville up to the castle. After a few moments it became awkwardly quiet and Neville was just about ready to say something when Blaise spoke up.

"I've been meaning to ask, growing all the potions ingredients just you and Professor Sprout must take a while."

"Yeah, it can be difficult, with just the two of us. But it's worth it," Neville replied with a small smile, equally happy for the awkward silence being broken and talking about his favorite thing.

Neville's smile made Blaise's stomach flip, he really liked it when Neville smiled. During their eighth year, he hardly ever saw Neville smile.

"Do you ever wish you had help with it?" Blaise continued, peeking over at Neville's face and bracing himself for the question he was going to ask next.

"Well of course more help would be great, but it's a lot to ask people, and not many are very dedicated to herbology."

"I was wondering if I could help," Blaise suddenly blurted out and then quickly colored at his blatantly obvious desire to help and quickly tried to amend it, "I mean, if you'd like, I could help with setting up materials or something. I kind of suck with plants, but I could still be of some use."

Neville smiled at that, he liked seeing this side of Blaise, it felt more real. He was always so cocky which was fine and all, but Neville felt happy when he got to bear witness to his nervous side as he felt he was seeing something a bit more private.

"I'd like that," Neville said, looking over at him with a smile.

"You would?"

"Of course, as I said, I'd love more help," Neville said with a slight laugh as they finally reached McGonagall's office. "Lemon Drops."

The gargoyle moved to give room for them to pass onto the stairs and head up to the headmaster's office.

"Ah, Mr. Longbottom," McGonagall said as she looked up from her papers, "and Mr. Zabini, what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I have more wolfsbane for you to deliver," Neville said, as he handed her the vials.

"Fantastic, Pomona said you'd be coming by, thank you very much Neville."

"Of course professor," Neville said as he turned to head out.

"Oh, and do tell Pomona thanks as well for me, you both work so hard," Mcgonagall said as Neville and Blaise reached the door.

A/N image not mine, it's by upthehillart on DeviantArt