Chapter 19 : An adventurous princess

Start from the beginning

"That's definitely not your parents' voice because I know your parents and I can recognise their voice even from afar. So what the hell are you with and how is it possible that your father accepted it?" Daewhi confusedly said since he hadn't still understood what's going on. 

"What the fuck Jen? Where are you? Did you escape from your parents' meeting?" Yeeun gave me an accused look. 

"But wait... why does it sound like our literature professor?" Soojin added causing Sana to gasp and throw her bowl in the air that every M&M's were flying making like a rainbow. 

"You're with Mrs. Manoban!"

It was total chaos.

I was attacked in a split second by a bombardment of questions that were no longer heard in the group. Everyone wanted to know how and why it happened. Of course Lisa was furious because some of her students had just found out we were together on vacation. I couldn't escape this time, like a prisoner, I confessed my faults in front of the judge. I explained that I knew a friend of my father's who worked at a travel agency and that's how I got a plane ticket and booked the seat next to her. 

From that incident until now in the rental car, we weren't talking. We were deep in thought, Lisa was looking straight ahead at the road ahead and she hadn't even told me where we were going. Actually, I felt a little guilty because my intentions were not to reveal that I was in Thailand but I guess there are no secrets in the world. 

So I sat there tight as a clam not wanting to provoke an argument with her. I was just admiring the streets where different artisanal merchants were selling local products. The city was quite full of tourists since it was high season. The weather was dry and hot during the day but it was a bit cooler in the evening. The season was perfect to discover the city and I was hoping to learn this new culture.

After two hours of driving with some traffic jams, we finally arrived at our destination. I was particularly excited when the car climbed this gigantic mountain. All the cars were driving at a speed of 20 km an hour because I guess it was safer to go slow. 

I was curious to see what was at the top of that mountain, but as I got out of the car I was amazed at the village in front of me. Villagers in their traditional dress wandered through the sloping streets. Children were playing ball and every time a car passed by, they would pull over to the side before playing again. Unlike what we would imagine, the houses were built of brick and stone. These are constructions that could have been found in a large capital city. Maybe that was the tourist side of it and at the time, the houses were probably made of wood.

I blinked as Lisa walked by and didn't wait for me. I followed her closely as I looked around. The small restaurants and cafes looked friendly. I kept note of each place in my head hoping to come there later if Lisa was in a good mood. Now all I had to do was wait for her to forget the incident. 

She finally stopped in front of a small house where the sounds of children shouting and laughing could be heard. I noticed dozens of shoes lined up at the doorway. Maybe it was a big family. 

A woman in her thirties wearing a worn blue apron opened the door. She was holding a tray full of glasses with ice cubes. She didn't look surprised to see us, maybe she was a part of her family? If I did, I'd better impress them

LISA'S POV

"Oh helly my dear. I guess you're Lisa?" she spoke in thai and I simply smiled and nodded. The woman lead us at the back of their charming home and we found 10 children running, playing football and badminton in the garden. It was another man, he was sitting with a little girl in her arms. Looked like she was crying because of her cratch on her knee, "This my husband. He's the one who replied to your emails. We are happy to have you here today. Children were super excited to have guests today," 

"I should be the one to be thankful. It's true that I couldn't stay long, but I wanted to do at least one or two activities with the children. Would they be interested in making a pancake recipe?"

"They love cooking! But I warn you, they might get restless... They don't often get a chance to stay in the kitchen." 

"Don't worry, I have an assistant with me," I smirked discreetly looking at Jennie who was already talking with a child. 

"You're going to teach them a pancake recipe," I said as I sat on the barstool. She looked at me in disbelief, probably not expecting the reason I had brought her to that orphanage.

"Really?" 

"Yes why not? Maybe a princess like you is used to getting her pancakes on a gold platter while you're lying on white sand on a private island..." the tone of my voice was totally sarcastic, something in me wanted to provoke her and make her mad like I was so I wanted to take a little revenge. 

"Watch me," she faked a smile and turned to the children who were already waiting with their cute apron, "Okay guys, today Chef Jennie is going to teach you to make the best pancakes. So are you ready?" 

The children made a war cry to show that they were ready for the activity. I laughed at Jennie's expression. She already looked like she was at the edge of her life. Watching her struggling with these children was going to be a real show while I was going to sip my lemonade and do nothing but enjoy. 

The exact opposite of what I expected. In my head, I could see Jennie pulling her hair between two children who were throwing eggs at each other while the other was scattering flour on the ground. 

None of this had happened. 

The kitchen was even cleaner than at the beginning with its utensils perfectly tidy. The children were not restless because they were listening until the end of the activity. But above all, they loved Jennie. I must admit that I was also taken by the way she talked with the children. She had the right words to make them laugh and entertain them by telling them about her childhood when she was a scout. Jennie was nothing like a princess who was not capable of anything, but she was an adventurer who liked to tell her friends about her misadventures. 

On many occasions, she caught me smiling. With her capricious girl character, she could not grin but she gave me afterwards a sweet smile. I didn't realize that I was relaxed and cheerful unlike this morning. I had the urge to kill her but the law forbade me to do so. 

But in the end I was glad I didn't do it, otherwise I would never have discovered that other side of Jennie. 

The married couple thanked us for making the children happy. It had been a long time since they had had a visitor and the children had never been so grateful to have learned something. The children did not want Jennie to leave, some had even cried that I decided to capture her moments with my camera without her knowing. It was heartwarming to see such a special moment and I was deeply grateful to Jennie for that.

We walked side by side silently down a slope. There were fewer people than before because it was late afternoon and usually at this time of day, people were getting back on the road to avoid the long line coming down the mountain.

"I didn't you were a scout girl," I threw to break the silence between us, not that it was uncomfortable.

"I'm an adventurous princess, you know," she threw her hair back like I'm-the-queen-bitch. 

"Yeah whatever, princess. Anyway, are you hungry?"

"Actually, there is a place I saw when we got here and it's so cute..."