The Flower (Chapter 2)

Chapter 2: The Flower

            When I finally composed myself, I scraped what was left of my dignity off the floor and went back inside. It was humiliating being chewed out by your mom, but it was even more humiliating when it was at your mom's wedding. I meandered to the back corner of the room and angry and terrified stares awaited me from every person. I can see that I have made quite the impression amongst the family. I was about to plop down in my seat when a voice from behind me squealed, "There you are!" It was high, sweet, and obviously faked. I turned to see none other than the blonde. I discreetly checked behind me to make sure this was not a mistake-no, she was speaking to me.  "Where have you been?"

            Her arms wrapped around my neck, enfolding me into a surprising hug. "Please," she whispered into my ear. "Help me. This guy won't leave me alone. Be my boyfriend for two minutes?"

            Bewildered, I could not answer. She took the liberty of answering for me as she pressed her lips to mine. The force of it sent me staggering back a little. Her grip tightened around my neck as I tried to loosen it. I remembered our deal-if you can call it that-and began to kiss her back. My hands found her waist and pulled her closer.  I am sure it was a very convincing act; we looked more like lovers than complete strangers. After a minute or so, she released her death grip. "Thanks!" She sighed.

            The girl began to walk away and I grabbed her hand. She stopped and turned with a look of defiance on her face. "You aren't seriously going to make out with a random stranger without even leaving them with your name?" I inquired. I released her hand, but she returned it.

            "I'm Lily."

            "Like the flower?" I smirked.

            She laughed, "Yes. Just like that. Who are you?"

            "Dylan." I smiled again. "Would you like something to drink?" Lily nodded. I turned to leave, but thought better of it. "You aren't going to run off the second I turn around, are you?"

            "Do I seem like the kind of girl who would do that?" Lily gasped. Hands on her hips, she rolled her eyes. When I did not comment, she continued. "Okay, okay, I get it-I do. Whatever. I'll be here when you get back though." Lily sat down at my table, and waved me on.  I sauntered over to the bar and got a beer for myself and one of those girly fruity drinks that girls have for Lily. I returned to our table and found that she kept her word. She took the beer and the other drink out of my hand, "Thanks, you didn't need to get me two drinks."

            Appalled, I sat down. "So," I asked. "What do you do?"

            "I'm going to school right now." She answered between gulps. "You?"

            "Nothing." I chuckled. "I'm considering going back to school, because the English degree just isn't cutting it. I got fired from my writing job at the Denver newspaper."

            "You write?" she asked.

            I answered, "I was a journalist for a few years. I wrote a book as well, but it was not very good. I tried writing some fiction once, but it was even worse. I'm thinking of pursuing a business degree next."

            I was babbling; I hope she didn't mind too terribly. I peeked over at her and noticed that both the drinks had been drained. Lily had a distant look on her face; she looked dreamy, but still present. Her blonde hair was beginning to uncurl and her make-up was smearing. Her eyes were amber brown. They were so deep you could fall in and lose yourself forever. She wore a gold, glittery dress that was better fit for a night club than a wedding. Still, she was a very attractive woman. Lily was definitely younger than me, but did age really matter?

            "Cool. You should show me some of your work sometime." she said. Lily's eyes wandered behind me. "Ugh, the bar's closed down.  I'm so thirsty."

            I turned around and checked for myself-it was. In fact, the room was practically empty. Hotel staff was beginning the cleaning process as a few of the party goers stumbled off to their cars or upstairs. "I have some wine up in my room." I told her. It was not until the words were out of my mouth that I realized the sexual meaning laced in between them. I hoped she did not notice and yet I hoped she did.

            "I love wine." Her amber eyes blazed with an intensity that her statement did not require. I tried to hold her gaze, but I was the first to look away. "Let's go then."

            Lily stood up and grasped my hand. By now, everyone had vacated the hotel ballroom. My mom and Hal were off in the hotel's honeymoon suite. The thought of what they were probably doing made me shudder. I guided Lily through the hall and into the elevator and up to the sixth floor. We-mainly I-stumbled down the hallway and into my hotel room. Due to my anti-social tendencies, I paid for my own hotel room rather than sharing with one of the groomsmen. There was a king sized bed with a golden comforter, and a red wood headboard. The floors were classically ugly hotel carpet in tan. The comforting smell of cookies and coffee filled the room. "Nice room." Lily noted. She strolled forward, dropping her purse on the table that held the flat screen TV.

            She found the bottle of wine that I set in a bucket of ice; she opened it and pressed it to her lips, not bothering to take a glass. Lily peered over at me watching her. "Come here!" She giggled. I sat down on the bed, still watching her. With each swig she took you could practically see the alcohol begin to take over her. She passed me the bottle and I took a generous swig as well. "Can I tell you a secret?" She asked me once the wine was gone.

            The room was spinning. "Sure." I said.

            "There wasn't another guy coming after me-I just wanted to kiss you." She admitted. Her amber eyes barred into mine.

            "It's okay." I nodded. I should have said something-something smooth and seductive. But, really, we both knew what was about to go down. Why even bother trying to find something to say through my intoxicated haze?

            "I like you." she said. Lily's lips found my lips, my cheek, my neck; she made short, passionate kisses. She unbuttoned my shirt and helped me pull it off. Although I did not return her sentiment, Lily persisted on. I allowed myself to stand up and pull her to my chest. Her hands ran down my faint muscles that had faded from lack of exercise. I slowly unzipped her dress and felt it fall to the floor. She gasped softly. "I'm sorry; I'm a little nervous." She whispered.

            I gently shushed her and brushed the blonde hair out of her face. "It's fine." I told her.

            Lily smiled anxiously. When I pressed my lips to hers, though, I felt the anxiety and nerves slowly melt away. I felt her let go of whatever was holding her back.

            For a moment I felt like my former self. I pretended that this would be the girl to turn my life around and help me move on from Lucy. I didn't want to remember Lucy, but it was much too hard to try and forget.