43 || Half a Heart

Evie's POV

The past three days have been painful. Going to sleep every night and not seeing Harry and then waking up to find myself alone in the apartment without Zayn was just heartbreaking. I knew I screwed up big time. It seems like just yesterday I was conflicted and I couldn't decide whom to choose - and now I was left with no one.

Niall's birthday party wasn't as packed as I expected it to be. It was very intimate - my kind of gatherings. I invited Liam and Danielle and they were psyched to go. I was originally supposed to invite Louis too, but I didn't want to leave Zayn out. I knew that his flight was tomorrow and he probably needed his best friend with him.

As much as I didn't feel like going anywhere today, I knew I had to go and at least try to socialize and move on. After all, I'm guessing that was Harry's purpose - to make me appreciate my life more and always live like it's my last day on earth. Locking myself in my room for days would make it seem like I learned nothing.

But maybe it's because I don't want my experience with Harry to be just a lesson. He can't just randomly pop into my life, make me fall in-love with him more than I've ever loved anyone, and then just leave. I know I basically pushed him away, but I didn't think it would've been that quick and easy.

"I didn't really expect this party to be very posh and the like," Danielle mused as she looked around Niall's wine bar. "I thought it was going to be filled with a bunch of loud men getting drunk on beer."

"Becaue Niall's Irish...?" I guessed.

"Exactly," she nodded, sipping on her wine. "Mmmm, this is actually really good!"

I laughed and set my glass on the table. "What a stereotype."

"Okay, where's the man of the hour?" Liam asked. "You haven't introduced him to us yet."

"Birthday boy's over there," I pointed towards Niall who was speaking to some of his cousins. The moment he saw me with my friends, he patted their backs and headed towards us with a big grin on his face.

"Hey mates!" he greeted, offering his hand to Danielle and Liam.

"Happy birthday!" I smiled, giving him a big and tight hug. "These are my friends - Liam and Danielle, and this is Niall - owner of this amazing place you just stepped into."

"Oh hush," he made a face. "This was all because of my folks' blood, sweat and tears, not really mine. I feel really honored to own this branch though, and nervous. My parents expect a lot from me."

"Looks like you're doing a good job though because this looks marvelous," Liam smiled. "There haven't been many successful wine bars in the city. This might just be the first."

"Thank you," Niall gave him a proud grin. "Have you guys tried the food yet? This caterer we got is pretty fabulous. Haven't had good Italian in years."

We were introduced to some of Niall's friends and relatives while trying some of the food. I couldn't help but think of Zayn at the back of my mind. He was probably prepping for his flight to New York tomorrow and here I am at a party. I should be chasing him right now.

"I'm glad we became friends," Niall grinned. "I didn't think I'd make any new ones aside from the ones I already have here."

I raised my eyebrow at him in surprise. "How could you not? You're literally the friendliest person I've ever met. That night when I approached you, I didn't think you'd actually entertain me - let alone have a conversation with me the day after while I was drunk."

"Yeah, drunk at like three in the afternoon," he laughed, tossing his head back. "Ah, good times."

"I wouldn't have considered it a goodtime then," I chuckled uncomfortably. "That was quite embarrassing, huh?"