32 || Save You Tonight

A few minutes after I cuddled next to Zayn, I felt him starting to move uncomfortably in his position. I leaned over to switch on the desk lamp, before peeking over his shoulder. "Hey babe. You okay?"

"I can't sleep," he muttered, covering his face with a pillow.

"It's only ten. Do you want to watch something on telly?" I suggested. We haven't been spending time together at all since he moved back in, and maybe even just cuddling while watching a good film could make up for it.

He brought his hands to his face and scratched his eyes while yawning. "Yeah, I guess we could."

I moved closer to Zayn, letting him wrap his arm around my shoulder as I lay my head on the side of his chest. I definitely missed moments like this. I missed the natural scent of his body mixed with the smell of his cologne. I missed the feeling of his unruly hair brushing against my forehead whenever he would lean closer.

"There's nothing good on here," he complained as he browsed through the channels. My mind wasn't even focused on what could possibly be airing on telly tonight. I just felt like I had to at least try to gain our spark back.

"Just leave it on," I shrugged with a smile. I looked up at him and pushed myself up to his level with my feet. His eyes were still staring blankly into the television screen when I placed my hand over his jawline, pulling his face closer to mine. "I missed you," I murmured, pressing my lips softly against his.

His eyelids flew open as the corner of his lip twitched into a smile. "I think I missed you a lot more."

"Doesn't really seem like it," I pouted the moment I released my lips from his.

"I'm sorry," he sighed. "I know I've been so pre-occupied lately. The news about my new job just happened so fast. Now I have to take care of so much paperwork in such a short period of time. You know I've been taking care of yours too, right?"

"Yeah I know," I nodded. "But you don't really have to dedicate all your time to it. We're supposed to try to work things out, remember?"

I know that saying that makes me sound like a complete hypocrite, but I felt like at this point, I didn't have any control of my heart anymore. I couldn't tell my heart what to feel nor can I tell my mind what not to dream of. The only thing that I could control right now was my reality with Zayn, and the most I could do was try to save what's left of it.

"We are, but we can totally make up for it in New York," he shrugged.

"If you're busy now, how can you assure me that you won't be as busy when we get there? Your job is going to be way different from the job you have now," I sighed, nestling my head on his shoulder. "You're going to be some big shot rich guy who barely has anytime for his girlfriend."

Zayn tossed his head back and chuckled. "Babe, stop overthinking things. Of course I will still have time for you."

He titled his head lower and gave my lips another kiss. This time, it was a lot more passionate than the first. His hands crawled back to my nape, pulling me closer to him.

"I love you, okay?" he murmured into the kiss. "I'm sorry for - "

Before he could even finish his sentence, his phone let out a loud ringing noise.

"Ugh, great," I muttered as he let go of me.

Zayn sighed and held up one finger. "Just one sec, sorry."

I crossed my arms and leaned back on the headboard of the bed, not even bothering to ask who it was. I knew it probably had something to do with his new job.