The Sorting Hat

If looks could kill, Brett would have withered there and then. Professor Snape strolled up to him, ignoring shouts of his name, his dark, cold eyes fixed on Brett.

'Professor Snape!' The voice called out again. A tall, slender figure appeared from the other side of the corridor. He came closer. Snape turned around menacingly.

'Professor, I'm certain this was just an awfully childish prank of peeve's. It's Brett's first day here, please let him off this once,' A deep sly voice broke the terrifying silence. A badge - silver and green - shone under the dim candlelight

Snape eyed brett in distaste before tossing his cape backwards and walking off. like teacher like student i guess

He heaved a sigh of relief. 'Thanks for helping me out there...can I get your name? And maybe the password to professor Mcgonagall's office?'

The figure revealed itself, standing directly under the dim, yellow lights, smirking - Brett gasped in astonishment.

'Oh but surely you would have known who I am by now. And the professor's office is a level above, stupid.' Eddy Chen pointed upwards with a smirk.

brett's heart fluttered as eddy's glare penetrated him mercilessly, like a hungry lion finally catching its prey. 'you...' brett stammered. eddy raised an eyebrow.

'you helped me?'
'anything wrong with that?'
'no...its just...i thought you were friends with the skinny blonde dude' 'cmon, i saved you from detention! a thank you would be nice'
'thank you...see you around i guess?' 'oh, trust me. you will.' eddy reassured before walking off.

heart still thumping furiously from the previous encounter, brett found the professor's office, exactly where eddy pointed. damn. that guy is precise as heck. he gently knocked on the ginormous oak door.
enter access granted
the door swung open, revealing an even bigger room. stacks of books were piled up on a bookshelf, cauldrons and pots were neatly arranged at the other end of the room. in the middle stood a rather elderly witch with a strict face. everything about her reminded brett of ray's mother - the tight, grey bun sitting at the top of her head, the rectangle-framed spectacles resting at the tip of her nose, and most of all, her defined posture, head held high, chest puffed out and legs slightly apart - he knew just how to get on the good side of her.

'professor mcgonagall. i am brett yang, transfer student from [insert school name cause i forgot what school it was called 🤓]. pleased to meet you. i hope i am not disturbing you at such an unconventional hour.' he brought his voice down a whole octave, staring straight into the professor's eyes.

the professor smiled lightly and stuck out her hand. 'no, no. please, sit down mr. yang. pleasure having you to transfer to hogwarts...we adore pleasant, young, gentleman such as yourself.' brett smiled back politely, knowing his 'strict-old-witch' introduction had helped him...again. 'the pleasure's all mine, professor.' he took professor mcgonagall's hand and shook it firmly, moving only his forearm - a trick he learnt that made his shake stronger.

'you have a nice firm shake, lad. sit down and i'll let the sorting hat do its thing. there are four houses - which i will not go into detail about. the sorting hat will tell you.' she said, pointing at a withering, delicate hat. it glowed with a fascinating aura.

maybe he had to try pulling a rabbit out of it, Brett thought wildly, as professor Mcgonagall signalled him to go on. Then the hat twitched - a rip near the brim opened wide like a mouth - and the hat began to sing:

Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all (no 🧢)(i'm sorry i saw it coming).
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap

so i've got to try on a cap, brett snickered to himself. fancy thinking he had to wrestle a troll! (yes i stole that from the book 😺) brett stepped forward meekly and gently placed the hat on his head. it fitted perfectly. he waited.

'Hmm,' said a small voice in his ear. 'Difficult. Very difficult. Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind, either. There's talent, oh my goodness, yes - and a nice thirst to prove yourself, now that's interesting... So where shall I put you?' Brett gripped the edges of the stool and thought, 'put me in the same house as harry and hermione...put me in the same house as harry and hermione...'

'Gryffindor, eh? Are you sure? You could do great as a Slytherin, you know, it's all here in your head, and Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness, no doubt... Well, if you're sure - better be GRYFFINDOR!' Brett heard the hat shout the last word before quickly taking it off. he looked at the professor.

'welcome to Gryffinor, Brett! As your house head, I will have our prefects Ron and Hermione remind you of our house rules. now, i'm sure it has been a long day, how about you get some rest? i will introduce the school to you tomorrow. ' Mcgonagall declared. 'That will be perfect, professor. Thank you.'

'Now, chop chop! Turn left to the dormitories! Settle down by 10pm or the prefects will have to book you,' She called out as the door closed.

It was a hell of a first day.