Author's Note

Alayonmbere is a proud girl who dislikes her name because people around her have inspiring names. When peers won't stop making fun of her, she confronts her parents to come clean on how they named her after a lizard -- a wall gecko. 

But behind her unique name is a story of her birth, a tale of pains and torture which her mom suffered before and after the girl was born. Its a story Alayonmbere will never forget. 

-------------------------------------------------------------
Its normal for a woman to carry her baby for nine months before putting to bed. Sometimes, however, there may be a shift of a few days or weeks before delivery. 

I recently discovered a strange incident where a woman carried her pregnancy for twenty months, going through lots of hardship before eventually putting to bed. On delivery, the name given to the child is symbolic of the pains the mother endured during pregnancy.

The incident inspired me to write this story which also points out the importance of the names people give their children.

The name someone answers sometimes determines their life aspirations . It can open doors of opportunities just as it may shut open doors.

I hope you'll enjoy reading this short story as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Have a lovely time reading Alayonmbere.

Credit to Oladimeji Odunsi for the cover picture.

Happy reading.

Lookman.