When was this?

Max Pov

I avoided Neil for the rest of the week. Actually it was for about two days. Now it's Friday so I guess it happened Tuesday. He's been letting me avoid him. He doesn't even seem to care. It's like, he's avoiding me too? He doesn't even try to get near me. I don't know. Maybe bummed about his diary that I totally have forgotten to return. But how can I? People will get ideas if I go in his locker and I don't want to "drop it off" at his place. It'll just live here with me for now.
I thought i was going to have a chill relaxed weekend without worrying about my crumbling relationship with Neil. I was sitting our usual table in the cafeteria (eating chips because our school lunch is gross and I don't have any money to buy any other food) that's when Nikki approached me. Neil was no where to be found. He usually came to lunch and sat with us even though we're on awkward mode. I bet Nikki just made him because she's literally trying to be Cupid in this whole situation.
"Hey, hey, hey." Nikki greeted me. She sat down with her try that had a beef taco with corn on the side and a small carton of strawberry Milk. This school is stupid. Taco's on Friday? It's rigged, I know.
I nod my head at Nikki, giving her a 'Sup'.
"So you're going to Ered's sleepover, right? It would be pretty lame if you didn't." Nikki asked.
Oh my god. I forgot about that stupid sleepover that I said I'd go to. That was 4 days ago. How would I remember. I mean, I guess that's why I have Nikki. Course she'd remember.
"Yeah, sure" I told her.
"Yes! You and Neil are going to come with me and it'll be like old times!" She said, full of excitement. That excitement all faded when she saw my disturbed face. I sucked my teeth. Puffed out my cheeks too. This is bull. It's not that I feel disgusted by Neil and his feeling or something, but this is weird. I've known Neil ever since I was 10. He was and is one of my closest friends. Now that I know that he has liked me for however long, this is weird for me.
"You're not still feeling weird about the Neil thing, are you?" Nikki asked. She knew how I felt.
I shrugged.
"You guys are going to need to talk about it eventually."
"No, no we do not."
"You're avoiding this own thing." She rolled her eyes.
"I know, and I like it that way. I bet Neil's doing that too. Isn't he? Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me that you told him about me having the diary so now he knows that I know. That's why he isn't here right now." I wanted the truth. Nikki is always playing both sides. It gets annoying sometimes.
Nikki bit her lip. "Um.." She began to speak. "I..." She sighed through her nose. "Okay, okay. On the night of the murder-" I stopped her because she sounded stupid. Nikki huffed and started again. "On the night of when you read about Neil's feelings he was like 'I can't find my diary.' And I was like, 'Max got it hehe now he knows probably too much about you now since it's your diary' I mean, you pour your life into that thing or whatever." She stuffed some of the taco into her face, and chewed loudly. It was disgusting. I could see what was in her mouth. Nikki swallowed the piece and then continued. "Neil was ma-a-a-ad. He went OFF. Now he knows how you're avoiding him, and he's avoiding you. But I know you both are going to work this out." Nik literally gulped down the rest of the taco. Girl was a beast.
"This is all your fault." I tell her. "Dude, you're not Cupid. You might've seriously jacked up our friendship."
Nikki looked down. Probably realizing that this was a pretty bad time to do it. "Yeah, I guess you're right. I mean, I could've just encouraged him to make a move on you instead of you finding out this way. Sorry. I didn't think it'll be this bad. Guess I'm not Cupid."
"Life lesson; don't tell Nikki about your crushes." I announced. "You don't see me running about telling Ered about your fee-" Nikki covers my mouth before I could say more. "SHHH."
I moved her hand. "
Oh, so that's how it is? You're in everyone else's business but you can't handle your own." I smirked.
"No- I- shut up Max! Gosh, you're the worst"
"I love you too." Platonically of course.