Ivar The Boneless

Red

Despite my late night, I was awake before the sun rose, getting around only two hours of sleep. Typical.

Through the tiny crack in my curtains, I could tell that it was indeed still dark out. Early bird gets the worm. I shrugged while getting out of bed.

I went over to my dresser and pulled out some dark scaley pants and a dark tunic, dressing in black attire. Quickly, I ran a brush through my hair and scrubbed my teeth. I pulled my deep red hair into a low ponytail and threw one of my favorite black cloaks over my whole outfit. I topped the whole look off with my typical calf-high leather boots and dark gloves. Before I left my room, I pulled my hood up.

The hallway was quiet and empty, as it usually is around this hour. I silently crept through the hall and down the huge main staircase, just out of habit I suppose.

As I got to the main floor, I heard some sounds coming from the kitchen, the cooks getting ready for the breakfast meal. And though I couldn't see the kitchen, I knew that Rye and Sye were smiling away as they rolled dough.

Who knew that anyone in an assassin manor could find something to smile about? Nevertheless, those two were always smiling. A fact that always irritated Zeke, though he hasn't done away with them yet because they are the best damn cooks in this whole continent.

I slipped out the front door and followed the small stepping stones to the backside of the manor. Which held a decent-sized warehouse-looking building, though that it was not actually a warehouse. But, in fact, it was a stable.

Avoiding the big roll-away doors, I snuck into the stable through the side door.

A smile crept onto my face as I inhaled the distinct horse smell that filled this place.

Despite the nice size of this place, it was rarely full. Typically only filled when Zeke calls a "special" meeting and "companions" from around the continent gathered.

Luckily, Zeke only calls one of those meetings once every two or three years. And we weren't due for another one for a while, thankfully.

I allowed my footsteps to echo on the brick and slate floors, just so I could see his head pop up.

Sure enough, my eyes locked onto his stall just in time to see his head fly up from wherever he had just stuck it. His dark eyes locked onto me and he gave a deep whiny as I approached.

I grinned at him when I reached his stall and he pushed his head into my stomach. Ivar. My Ivar.

My hands flew up to his ears and I scratched them while he pushed his nose against my stomach.

So needy. I chuckled when he pushed hard and I nearly lost my balance.

Ivar brought his head up to eye level and just like always we shared a mutual stare. A deep understanding between human and animal, that he was mine and I was his.

I glanced around, ensuring that we were alone before I took the board down that held him in his stall. Though I'm sure, thanks to his massive size, he could easily break the board.

Ivar took two steps onto the brick before he stretched and made a show of shaking his head and neck. The shake rolled down to his whole body, as he gave a loud huff. Drama queen. I rolled my eyes at his show before putting my hands on my hips, waiting for him to finish. I walked to the rolling door and pushed it open just enough for us to ride out of here.

Once he was settled, he walked up to me and turned his head to me, a sign that he was ready.

Not wasting any time, I stepped up to his massive body, grabbed around his neck, and gracefully slid onto his back.